Column: Texting while driving recipe for death, serious injury

New enforcement measures should be welcomed by city

Another city in South Carolina has banned texting and driving, and Columbia could be next.
Following the lead of Charleston and other cities, Greenville has banned handheld phone usage while driving as of Tuesday, April 1st, 2014.

Many cities are looking out for the safety of everyone on the roads by making the use of phones while driving illegal and ticketing violators to enforce these restrictions.

Both Charleston and Greenville are home to many in-state USC students. The question is will these students be able to obey the law when they return home since Columbia doesn’t enforce a similar restriction?

The ordinance in Greenville includes exceptions for law enforcement and first responders while on the job and for motorists reporting a crime or emergency. So unless you’re calling 911, you better stay off your phone when you’re in the Upstate.

People complain they won’t be able to control their music or GPS in their car while driving anymore because they can’t use their phones behind the wheel. Officials suggest those who depend on these things set up their tunes or directions prior to moving the vehicle.

Waiting until your car is parked is the only option for sending a message saying “On my way,” or “Be there in five.” Even though those messages seem so short and easy to type, it’s no exception to the law and sending that while operating a vehicle is now deemed illegal in many places.

Although some say they are good at using their phones and driving, most of these people are saying so just because they haven’t gotten into an accident yet. Once those who feel invincible cause an accident, they may start second guessing their skills.

These new enforcements are strongly supported by thousands who have seen loved ones and family get hurt by texting and driving. The last thing they want is for someone else to be harmed in the same way their friends were by something so terrible.

Whether you’re one to put your phone away every time you get behind the wheel or one to avidly type messages as you switch lanes, these laws will probably influence your decisions a bit more if they are applied in Columbia soon.

Many vehicle-related deaths have been a result of phone usage while driving, making this legal enforcement another attempt at preventing accidents and saving lives in South Carolina.

These bans are going to be followed up on to see if they play an effect on driving safety, but in the meantime South Carolinians from these areas will not be able to use their phones while driving.