Road Trip Towns: Charleston, SC

<p>Even when it's too cold for swimming, Charleston is full of delicious restaurants and sophisticated shops.</p>
Even when it's too cold for swimming, Charleston is full of delicious restaurants and sophisticated shops.

Road Trip Towns: Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston is a city well-known for its urban roots, beachy landscape and southern charm. Only about two hours away from Columbia, it is the perfect place to relax by the beach or shop lavishly on King Street. Eat, shop and explore like the locals with this list of Charleston favorites.

Shem Creek 

As a Charleston native, I have explored most of what the Holy City has to offer, and Shem Creek is by far my favorite place to relax and explore. This gorgeous inlet gives off the vibe of a small, coastal fishing town, rich in hospitality, good seafood and stunning sunsets.

Located in Mount Pleasant, Shem Creek is the perfect setting for either a night of romance or an afternoon of adventure. Lining both sides of the creek are romantic restaurants, bars and cozy hotels.

Restaurants such as R.B.’s Seafood Restaurant offer fresh seafood and waterfront dining, lending full view to kayakers, boaters and even the occasional dolphin surfacing. For those looking for a more adventurous experience, kayaks and paddle boards are available to rent and take through the creek. Adventure through the creek, into marshy alcoves and even all the way out to Crab Bank, an island inhabited solely by thousands of nesting birds. Shem Creek Park is also a great way to stroll through the area, admire the scenery and take some pictures on the long and winding boardwalk.

Queen Street Grocery 

Located in the heart of residential downtown Charleston is a grocery store not quite like the others. Queen Street Grocery, open since 1922, takes on the persona of a neighborhood cafe as well. Small wooden tables and chairs furnish the outside of this charming baby blue building, creating a welcoming and cozy atmosphere right at first glance.

This quaint corner store serves delicious breakfast, lunch and desert crepes as well as sandwiches, smoothies and other snacks. To start your morning off right, I recommend the “Mount Pleasant” crepe — chocolate chips or Nutella and your choice of fruit.

Marion Square

Marion Square is a huge green space in the middle of King Street. On Saturday mornings from April to mid-December, a farmer’s market expands through the area with local vendors selling food, drinks, art, accessories and more. Visiting the farmer’s market is the perfect way to mingle with the community and support local art and produce.

Even when the farmer’s market is not in session, Marion Square is always bustling with activity, such as street musicians and hip-hop dancers, putting on a show for any and all. During the holiday season, a 60-foot-tall artificial Christmas tree is lit. You can actually walk into the middle of the tree, look up, and see lights surrounding you 60 feet into the sky. When the weather gets warmer, it is common to find people sun tanning in the open field, reading a book or walking their dog.

CO

CO, the Vietnamese word for feast, is a restaurant and bar that adds an urban twist to Asian cuisine.

Located on King Street, this hip Pan-Asian restaurant serves unique drinks, desserts, dipping sauces and dishes. The constant indie music playing and the dim lighting set a sophisticated mood that makes CO a standout for the place to be.

The fresh summer rolls and pad thai are my go-to dinner items, but even if you are just grabbing a drink or purchasing one of their unique sauces to garnish your meals at home, CO doesn’t disappoint.

Charleston City Market 

Along with the farmer’s market in Marion Square, there is also the historic Charleston City Market, open March through December on Meeting Street. This half-indoor, half-outdoor market houses vendors selling anything from homemade jewelry and original art to homemade salsa and sweetgrass baskets. 

The Charleston City Market has been around since 1804, and it is the perfect place to absorb the history and culture of this friendly and diverse city.