Men, women advance to SEC quarterfinals

Men’s team bests Alabama, women defeat Ole Miss

South Carolina’s men and women’s tennis teams advanced to their respective quarterfinals at the SEC tournament Thursday.

The men’s team, which is currently ranked No. 30, earned a 4-1 win over No. 33 Alabama at the Currey Tennis Center on Vanderbilt’s campus.

The Crimson Tide’s 15th-ranked No. 1 doubles spot took care of the Gamecocks’ doubles pair of Chip Cox and Tsvetan Mihov, 8-3. South Carolina retaliated, winning both of the remaining doubles matches, 8-4 and 8-3.

Junior Kyle Koch, freshman Andrew Schafer and senior Chip Cox handled each of their singles matches, leading South Carolina to the quarterfinals.

In the women’s team’s match, 30th-ranked South Carolina upended No. 33 Ole Miss, which was the No. 9 seed in the SEC tournament.

The match, which was held at the Mizzou Tennis Complex in Columbia, Mo., saw the Gamecocks claim both of the day’s doubles matches.

Sophomore Ximena Siles Luna and freshman Caroline Dailey defended the first doubles point, succeeding on a 8-2 decision.

Then, the combination of junior Meghan Blevins and senior Katerina Popova dispelled the Rebels’ No. 2 doubles spot, taking the match 8-1.

The men’s team will face No. 11 Texas A&M, which is the No. 2 seed in the SEC tournament, Friday at 1 p.m.

The women are set to take on No. 3 Alabama Friday at 3 p.m. The Crimson Tide are the top seed in the tournament.