Senior safety may move to cornerback

Williams may be called upon to fill void in defensive backfield

With last year’s top three cornerbacks gone, there is a lot of uncertainty at the position for the Gamecocks, with many young players stepping into larger roles.

The player with the most resting on his shoulders to help his younger teammates’ transition in the fall is senior Brison Williams.

Starting as a safety for South Carolina the past two seasons, Williams might make the switch over to cornerback to add experience at that spot.

The Gamecocks are for now expected get contributions at corner from redshirt freshman Ali Groves and redshirt senior Sidney Rhodes, a former walk-on.

In addition, redshirt sophomore Rico McWilliams is the favorite for one starting cornerback spot. He spent most of last season working to get back to normal after he sustained a knee injury in 2012.
Also expected to see time at cornerback is sophomore Jamari Smith, who played running back last season.

All of the inexperience has caused Williams to regularly switch his position in the secondary during practice.

“He’s been going back and forth throughout spring,” secondary coach Grady Brown said. “We’re trying to make sure he gets better at both positions.”

Brown said it also makes sense for Williams to move to cornerback with the depth the Gamecocks have at safety. Senior Kadetrix Marcus, junior T.J. Gurley and redshirt sophomores Chaz Elder and Chris Moody all saw a good amount of time on the field last year and will be ready to perform this season.

Already, his coaches and teammates have seen Williams make an impact at corner on the field during spring practice.

Yet it is his guidance off the field that his teammates praise. Williams can practically teach the rest of the team practically as well as his coaches do.

Smith called Williams “a great mentor” for helping the former running back pick up the defensive schemes. McWilliams felt similarly about Williams’ ability to aid his teammates.

“Brison might be the smartest on both sides of the field,” he said. “He knows everything. He’s real good to be playing with.”

Williams said he does not prefer either position and will play wherever he is needed. In fact, he was the one to tell the coaching staff that he would like reps at corner if it would help the team.

“I told coach I just wanted to get some extra work at corner, that I think I can do it,” he said. “He said he was going to try me there. Everything has been going good, so I think I can play both positions.”

The senior is no stranger to playing corner, but it has been a while since he lined up there. You would have to go back to his high school film to see Williams one-on-one on the outside against an opponent’s top receiver.

Now, he might be the No. 1 option this season to cover the top receivers for South Carolina with how comfortable he has looked in spring ball.

Williams has also become a different type of leader than he has in past years.

Last season, he would lead by example, but this year, he is more of a vocal presence in the secondary. He has been spending a lot of time watching film with younger teammates like Smith and McWilliams and answering their questions.

Williams added that no single person taught him to be a leader. It was just something he picked up along the way from former Gamecock defensive standouts who are now in the NFL — layers like safety D.J. Swearinger, cornerback Stephon Gilmore and linebacker DeVonte Holloman.

“I was a leader last year; I just really wasn’t talking too much, but this year, I have to,” Williams said. “I think everything’s going in the right direction right now. Everybody’s getting on the same page and doing their assignment.”