South Carolina scrimmages Saturday

<p>Senior quarterback Dylan Thompson threw for 118 yards and completed five of his 10 passes in Saturday&#8217;s scrimmage.</p>
Senior quarterback Dylan Thompson threw for 118 yards and completed five of his 10 passes in Saturday’s scrimmage.

Football set to begin final week of spring practice

Saturday’s temperatures in the high 80s served as proof that spring is in full swing. But the boys of fall hit the field at Williams-Brice Stadium over the weekend for their last tune-up scrimmage before the annual Garnet and Black Spring Game.

“I thought we had some pretty good work,” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “The defense seemed like they had the best of the offense early, and then the offense got together and scored some touchdowns.”

The scrimmage included 69 total plays and saw the offense score five touchdowns without turning over the ball once. Two of the Gamecocks’ scores came on the ground by way of redshirt junior Shon Carson, who found the end zone twice in his three carries for eight yards.

South Carolina’s other three touchdowns came through the air and were all thrown by a different Gamecock. Redshirt freshman quarterback Connor Mitch and redshirt sophomore quarterback Brendan Nosovitch connected with redshirt sophomore Jody Fuller and redshirt junior Carlton Heard, respectively for scores.

Redshirt sophomore Perry Orth has been the favorite to win the title of backup quarterback, but Spurrier insists Orth and Mitch are still in a battle for the second-string job.

While Mitch was a relatively highly-touted recruit coming out of high school, Orth joined the team as a walk-on in January of 2013. Along with Orth, Spurrier said one theme for this spring season has been contributions from non-scholarship players.

“We’ve got about three or four walk-on kids that are really good players,” Spurrier said. “They could be playing at some of these smaller schools, but they realize the importance of a degree from South Carolina.”

Next year’s solidified starter at QB, Dylan Thompson, saw extended action during Saturday’s scrimmage. The senior completed five of his 10 passes for a team-high 118 yards.

“He’s coming around. Dylan hasn’t played as much as sometimes we think he has, so he got a little extra,” Spurrier said. “I think he had about three or four possessions, and had a lot of good things.”

Thompson was declared the starter at the very beginning of spring practice after serving as Connor Shaw’s backup for the last two seasons.

While most of the scrimmage carried a positive tone throughout, there was one discouraging note in the form of an injury to senior tight end Rory Anderson. A preseason All-SEC selection from a year-ago, Anderson will most likely be out until August with a torn triceps.

The Gamecocks have just one week of spring practices left, culminating in the annual Garnet and Black Spring Game this Saturday, and as the spring season winds down, Spurrier is pleased with the work his team has put in thus far.

“We’re just practicing. We’re just trying to teach the guys the plays and play full speed, take care of each other,” Spurrier said. “Hopefully these guys can carry over through the summer and get ready for Texas A&M August 28th. That’s the next one.”