2014 schedule loaded with top-25 football battles

As much as we would like to believe it, Carolina isn’t the only team out there. Here are some other games every college football fan should watch this season.

Aug. 30
Clemson at Georgia This game is important for a lot of reasons, but here are two: first, South Carolina fans already despise both teams and if there was a way both teams could lose, that’s what Gamecock Nation would be rooting for. A game ending in that fashion isn’t plausible, but you can still bet on the better half of the Palmetto State tuning in to see the outcome. If this game has half the fireworks of last year’s 38-35 Clemson victory, it will be a great game. During the offseason, five Clemson football players were suspended — including starting left guard David Beasley and starting defensive end Corey Crawford — a number rivaled only by a resounding seven Georgia players arrested this offseason. The second reason this game is important deals more with South Carolina’s matchup with Georgia. If the Bulldogs can sneak by Clemson and go an entire bye week without an arrest, there’s a very strong chance that ESPN’s College Gameday will be setting up on The Horseshoe again. For that to happen, South Carolina must take care of business against Texas A&M and East Carolina, too.

Sept. 6
Michigan @ Notre Dame
This is the final time these two historic teams will meet — at least for the foreseeable future. In conjunction with the athletic program’s move to the ACC, Notre Dame must schedule as many as five ACC opponents every year. Since the Fighting Irish have ties to traditional rivalries like Navy, Stanford and Southern Cal, games against Big 10 opponents are sliding off the schedule. A season ago, this matchup drew the largest crowd the Big House has ever seen. A record 115,109 people packed Michigan Stadium to see the Wolverines best the Irish 41-30, which was the fourth time in five years Michigan claimed a victory in the rivalry. The last time Notre Dame beat Michigan, the Fighting Irish went on to an undefeated regular season before being pummeled in the BCS National Championship Game by Alabama. With Everett Golson’s return along with a resurgence in the running game, Notre Dame has a good chance of going out of this rivalry on top.

Oct. 25
Ohio State @ Penn State
A year ago, true freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg was mutilated by the Ohio State defense, forcing the Nittany Lion’s golden boy to throw two interceptions, while only completing 12 of 23 for 112 yards. The Buckeyes ran for 408 yards, which was still 51 more yards than Penn State’s entire offense could muster. The brunt of the work was carried by Carlos Hyde, who collected 147 yards on 16 carries. Hyde is gone, but Braxton Miller remains, and should be a force to be reckoned with come fall. This year, the Buckeyes must travel to Happy Valley, where Hackenberg will seek his revenge in the comfort of his own backyard. Already landing in the Penn State record books after breaking 13 school records last year, beating Ohio State will thrust the sophomore signal caller and the program into national prominence. The matchup will also feature a pair of former SEC head coaches in Penn State’s Franklin and Ohio State’s Urban Meyer.

Nov. 29
Auburn @ Alabama
Nick Saban is still teeming. Could you imagine the temper tantrum he threw in the locker room after Chris Davis Jr. ran back that field goal attempt? Alabama’s subsequent loss to Oklahoma that saw Sooner quarterback Trevor Knight carve up the Crimson Tide defense for 348 yards and four touchdowns has likely cast Saban into his laboratory, coming out just in time for SEC Media Days. During the offseason, Alabama hired Lane Kiffin — for some reason — to be the new offensive coordinator. Auburn made headlines in the offseason too when star quarterback Nick Marshall was cited for possession of marijuana. Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn declined to reveal how long Marshall will be suspended, but did say the quarterback will not start week one against Arkansas. Auburn will also be without preseason all-SEC left guard Alex Kozan against the Razorbacks, only Kozan will not return after the opening game. In a huge blow to the reigning SEC champs, the sophomore will miss the entire season due to back surgery.