Standout athletes to watch

Check out these athletes and cheer on Gamecock sports this year!

1. Kayla Lampe
Redshirt Junior
Cross Country
Although she is a redshirt junior, Lampe has only one year of cross country experience under her belt. She did not compete her freshman year in 2011, and was forced to sit out last season due to a lingering heel injury. However, as a redshirt freshman in 2012, Lampe ranked as the team’s top finisher in every event she competed in. She finished eighth at the 2012 NCAA Southeast Regional Championships in Charlotte, N.C. Lampe also placed 13th that same year at the Southeastern Conference Championship. If she can avoid the injury bug, Lampe should have a very productive year for South Carolina.

2. Justine Dreher
Senior
Golf
During her offseason this summer, Justine Dreher returned to her native home in Europe to compete in the European Ladies Amateur Team Championship. Dreher led France to a win over Finland in the final, and was undefeated in match play. Coming off a season where she cut down her average by two strokes and garnered a first team All-SEC selection, Dreher seems to be poised for a dominating run in her final year. She has competed in three NCAA championships in her three years at South Carolina; with her 2012 finish (T-48) being the best.

3. Sabrina D’Angelo
Senior
Soccer
Goalkeeper
A season after earning the 2013 SEC Defensive Player of the Year award, D’Angelo will be playing in the final season of her illustrious career at South Carolina. D’Angelo was also named to the first team All-SEC as well as the SEC All-Tournament team. Her 12 shutouts last season were the second highest mark in any South Carolina season, falling just shy of Mollie Patton’s 15 in 2009. No matter how the 2014 season plays out, D’Angelo will likely go down as one of the best keepers to ever guard the net at South Carolina.

4. Kellie McNeil
Junior
Volleyball
Setter
After a bittersweet victory over Coastal Carolina, South Carolina dropped its remaining eight games in brutal fashion to close the 2013 season. It’s likely that losing setter Kellie McNeil to a foot injury was an ingredient in the Gamecocks’ collapse, and it’s even more likely that head coach Scott Swanson will be able to breathe a little easier now that McNeil is healthy. Before being shut down for the season, McNeil was at the top of her game, averaging over 10 assists per set. Despite missing eight matches, McNeil finished 10th in the SEC with 834 assists. She managed to finish sixth in the conference with her 10.17 average assists per set.

5. Will Starke
Junior
Golf
Finished in the top five four times during fall, and led the Gamecocks down the stretch, taking home the top spot at the Seahawk Intercollegiate. Starke shot six strokes (64) under par (70) in one round at the NCAA championship, helping him to a T-55 finish after finishing T-116 at the event one year prior. He set the low individual score five times in South Carolina’s 12 tournaments last season. The Chapin, S.C. native was also able to shave his average down to 72.20 in his sophomore campaign, compared to a 74.11 mark his freshman year. Starke should use last season’s momentum to catch fire early this year, helping a talented squad to a strong start.

6. Braeden Troyer
Senior
Soccer
Center back
Senior who switched from midfielder to center back to help the team, which was in need of defenders last year. Named to the All-Conference USA second team for the second year in a row despite the change in position. Scored on the team’s only penalty kick attempt of the season, ultimately leading to a 2-1 victory over Florida Atlantic. Four of Troyer’s five shots were on goal last season, and was tied for fifth place on the team with two goals.

7. Sarah Blomgren
Junior
Volleyball
Outside hitter
Blomgren finished second in kills on head coach Scott Swanson’s 2013 squad, trailing senior outside hitter Juliette Thevenin. With Thevenin and Lindsey Craft’s subsequent graduation, the Gamecocks will have to make up for a large portion of kills—34 percent, in fact. Blomgren is one of only seven upperclassmen on the roster this season, but look for her and teammate Darian Dozier to rack up most of the Gamecocks’ kills in 2014.

8. Marwan El Kamash
Junior
Swimming
Middle dist. Freestyle
Earned All-American recognition as a member of the Gamecocks’ 800 freestyle relay. The team finished 12th (6:21:98) in the event at the NCAA championships, which was El Kamash’s second trip to the tournament. El Kamash also competed in three individual events at NCAA championships, and was the only Gamecock to do so. In addition to the 800 freestyle relay, El Kamash competed in the 100, 200 and 500 freestyle events. Took down previous school records at the SEC championships as a part of the 400-medley relay team. Two of the four members of the 400-medley relay team have since graduated, passing El Kamash the torch of experience.