Tebow and SEC Nation crew give thoughts on Gamecocks

Hosts optimistic about South Carolina season

Thursday’s season opening matchup between South Carolina and Texas A&M will be the first live football broadcast on the SEC Network. The channel’s new pregame show, “SEC Nation,” will make its maiden voyage, as well.

ESPN’s Joe Tessitore, former LSU defensive lineman Marcus Spears and former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow will host the network’s equivalent to “College Gameday.”

Wednesday, as they began day-before preparations for their first show as a group on Thursday, the trio took the time to preview the clash between the Gamecocks and the Aggies.

Joe Tessitore

“I’ve always thought that this was a really, really tough spot for A&M. You could see it coming. They knew they were going to have a new quarterback, whether it was [Kenny] Hill or [Kyle] Allen or [Matt] Joeckel — who obviously transferred to TCU now. I just think it’s such a tough spot to play on the road, six o’clock kick-off, this atmosphere, this crowd, this team, the energy surrounding this program. This is one of the great atmospheres in college football pregame. In that moment, from about 5:55 to 6:05 (Thursday) night, there’s no place you’d rather be on earth than this place rocking with ‘Sandstorm’ and ‘Space Odyssey.’ And there’s going to be a young man who’s going to step in front of that crowd and have to play quarterback, and that’s a lot of pressure. They’re good, and (Texas A&M coach) Kevin Sumlin’s proven that no matter who his new quarterback is wherever he’s been the guy has success. But really, as tough a spot as you can get. If they were managing it, I’m sure they’d like to open up with a lesser conference team for a few weeks, and then arrive at something like this, but that’s the beauty of college football, right? You come right out of the gate and get punched in the face and see how you react.”

Marcus Spears

“I feel good about [South Carolina]. I think they have all of the talent that it takes to win in the SEC. They’re built the right way: offensive line, great running back, Dylan Thompson, who we think is going to be a successful quarterback in this league. And on defense, you lose Jadeveon Clowney, but you still have the continuity. You’ve got guys in the right positions, a little young in the secondary, so that’s a concern for everybody. But I think they’ll be fine. If they beat Georgia, and we think Florida will make a resurgence this year, Carolina may be in the college football playoff.”

Tim Tebow

“I think early it’s going to be special teams and turnover, and I think it’s going to be, will Texas A&M have the ability to stop the run of South Carolina with two very good, experienced running backs. Dylan Thompson not forcing the ball, but using his arm talent, which he’s very gifted at. He doesn’t have to be Connor Shaw and make a lot of plays with his feet, but he can. He’s still athletic and can make plays … I would rather have talent than experience, but with Dylan Thompson, he’s got both. And I think that he has a chance to do something special here. I thought Connor Shaw was a really good quarterback, a great leader and I thought he had a lot of swag. You could see in fourth quarters, he found ways to win games and win games when he’s hurt, and I also think Dylan Thompson has that, as well. I think they do it in different ways. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how this team rallies around him and how they’re able to make big plays.”