Tips for your first year as a Gamecock

After all the graduation parties, senior week and saying a few goodbyes, move-in day is over and it’s time to settle in. But there’s no need to be nervous! With a little help from your new friends here at the Daily Gamecock, the transition to college will be a breeze.

— Get to know your residence hall: These buildings are called “residence halls” and not “dorms” because they offer so much more than just a place to sleep. Did you know that McBryde has a small grocery store called Market 101 in building A, or that Columbia Hall has a wellness center on the lower level? These are just a couple of examples of assets that University housing offers — and is why we think it’s highly beneficial to learn about what resources your building provides.

— Go to Welcome Week events: Keep in mind this is a huge transition for every freshman on campus, so when you look around you, remember, everyone is going through the same thing. The University hosts plenty of Welcome Week events to meet fellow first year students, which makes it easier to overcome shyness and make some new friends from the get go.

— Getting Involved: There are hundreds of student organizations on USC’s campus, so there’s something for anyone and everyone. We’ve got everything from the skydiving Flying Gamecocks to the Latin Dance Club. This is open season for recruiting new club members, so now’s the time to pick what to do in your spare time and keep an eye out for interest events (maybe even the Daily Gamecock!). The student organization fair is on August 28.

— Talk to your Resident Mentor: Believe it or not, Resident Mentors didn’t go through weeks of training and make cute door decorations just to ignore their residents.
RMs are there to help each and every person on their hall with moving and adjusting to college. As former first years and experienced Gamecocks, RMs can give some of the most sound advice about almost anything on campus. They don’t bite, we promise.

— Drink in the Cola culture: No matter where you’re from, every student is a local now. Columbia is the Soda City, and there are plenty of things every student will catch on to. Here are a few examples:
It’s “Hugh-gee” street, not “Hugger” street.
Pawley’s Front Porch is the best burger in town.
This is not Tiger territory.

Columbia’s a big city, so keep in mind there are a lot of cool things worth checking out around town.

For the readers: The Richland Library on Main Street is open to any student living on campus during the school year.
For the art enthusiasts: The Columbia Art Museum is free to the public on Sundays.
For the music lovers: The New Brookland Tavern is the best dive bar in Columbia, having $5-$10 dollar shows almost every night of the week.
For the film connoisseurs: The Nickelodeon Theatre on Main Street is the only nonprofit movie theatre in the state, screening independent and foreign films.
For the explorers: Congaree National Park is about 18 miles from campus and is a great change of pace from the stress of school and city life.

*Explore *
The University of South Carolina is a massive campus (you’re going to feel those walks to class in your calves, believe us), smack dab in the middle of a state capital, so why not get to know your new home?
While you’ll become familiar with the classroom buildings through out the semester, walking through Five Points, exploring The Vista, poking around the State House or hanging out in Finlay Park are all great ways to spend the afternoon.

Stay healthy
Even though Chick-Fil-A for every meal may seem glamorous at first, the “Freshman Fifteen” will sneak up when you’re not paying attention. Being in college doesn’t mean giving up veggies or a workout routine — a healthy Gamecock is a happy Gamecock.
But staying in shape isn’t the only way to stay healthy — the Thomson Student Health Center behind Russell House is there to help you with any of your medical needs and has a full functioning pharmacy to fill prescriptions. The Counseling center also offers 10 free counseling sessions to any full time USC student a year. If you didn’t know already, your university is really looking out for you.

*Have fun *
There are countless fun things to do around campus, but Carolina Productions is who we have to thank for most of our fantastic events.
Aside from having free movies screened every weekend in the Russell House Theatre, this student run organization hosts all of USC’s concerts, open mic nights, comedy shows and so much more. Keep a look out for this Fall’s upcoming CP events.

Deep breaths, folks — USC may be a place to further your education, but living here is a blast. Go out and enjoy yourself, it’s too early to be stressing.