USC student robbed at gunpoint at Horseshoe

A USC student was walking through the Horseshoe at 12:40 a.m. on Thursday morning when he was robbed at gunpoint, USCPD told WIS.

The suspect demanded money from the student, but the victim did not have any. According to USC police, the suspect followed the student back to his room in East Quad.

The suspect, who was described as a black male with a goatee, was last seen walking into the Five Points area after leaving East Quad.

Police also said that the suspect was about 6 feet in height and 180 pounds in weight. At the time of the robbery, he was reportedly wearing a light gray T-shirt and khaki pants and white and green tennis shoes.

USC Communications Vice President Wes Hickman said he could not comment on the incident, as the case is still considered active by the University of South Carolina Division of Law Enforcement and Safety.

According to Hickman, a CarolinaAlert was not sent out, as the incident was reported at a time when there was no threat to campus. Instead, the incident was reported on the USCPD crime bulletin website.

“The crime bulletin is posted on the law enforcement website and then distributed via social media,” Hickman said. “The CarolinaAlert is used in emergency situations or when there is an immediate threat and that’s posted on the web, distributed through social media and goes out over text message.”