Around the Nation: games to watch in week 2

Quarterback Marcus Mariota of Oregon knows a little bit about winning. The sophomore has piloted the Ducks thorugh the BCS thicket. A constant in the national title conversation in recent years, Mariota keeps the high-octane Oregon offense humming with his dual-threat skills. (Travis Heying/Wichita Eagle/MCT)

Top-25 matchups, final installment of rivalry highlight this weekend’s college football slate

No. 7 Michigan State at No. 3 Oregon

The featured game in college football this week brings together two heavyweights in No. 7 Michigan State and the No. 3 Oregon Ducks in a game that’s sure to give the winner an early leg up on a spot for the college football playoff. The Spartans are quite familiar with tough Pac-12 opponents, especially after defeating Stanford in last year’s Rose Bowl 24-20, so this Oregon team is nothing new to them. Duck quarterback Marcus Mariota, returned for his junior year this season, despite significant NFL interest and first-round draft potential, and this is just the game he and his team set their sights on all offseason. Despite Michigan State’s defensive prowess, Sparty might not have the athletes or the stamina to keep up with the Oregon’s no-huddle attack, which has gashed and baffled even the most brilliant of defensive minds. Michigan State will keep it close with their efficient passing game led by Connor Cook, but in the end, the Autzen crowd and the speed of the Ducks may be too much to overcome.

No. 14 Southern California at No. 13 Stanford

After dominating performances over their week-one opponents, the USC Trojans and Stanford Cardinal both appear ready for an epic clash, sure to have serious Pac-12 championship implications. In the Trojans’ obliteration of Fresno State, quarterback Cody Kessler threw for 394 yards and four TDs while the USC offense as a whole ended the game with a eye-popping 701 yards of total offense. Against UC Davis, it was the Stanford’s defense that put on a show, only allowing 115 yards of total offense and not allowing the Aggies to get past the 50 yard line. In the end, this game is a real tossup between one highly-potent offense and another lunch pail defense and it should be fun to watch. If nothing else, home-field advantage for the Cardinal might be the difference in the game.

Michigan at No. 16 Notre Dame

From Tate Forcier’s game-winning TD pass with 11 seconds remaining in 2009 to Denard Robinson’s 502-yard performance capped by his two-yard TD run to secure the game in 2010, this rivalry is intense. Even Harry Oliver’s 51-yard boot that won the game for the Irish in 1980and set off pandemonium inside ND stadium proves that these two teams have produced some incredible games and memories. Much to the chagrin of college football purists, Saturday’s meeting will be the last time the Maize and Blue and the Golden Domers will play for the foreseeable future. For Michigan and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, the running game will be key if the Wolverines want to establish their tempo and get the Irish on their heels. That might be easier said than done, however, with Michigan’s offensive line in the midst of a rebuilding phase — especially at center — where Brady Hoke has waffled back and forth between starters since the Spring. This could make for a big day in the life of ND nose tackle Jarron Jones. Look for another one-score game between these two bitter rivals and some late-game heroics from one player to send this series out with a bang.

Virginia Tech at No. 8 Ohio State

When Frank Beamer and Urban Meyer lead their teams onto the field in Saturday’s game at Ohio Stadium, they’ll bring their 354 combined wins and 42 years of coaching experience at major collegiate schools, easily the most between two collegiate football coaches this season. The Hokies have a knack for falling short on the big stage against top-10 teams, so the fate of this game will rest on the shoulders of quarterback Michael Brewer. A transfer from Texas Tech, Brewer impressed in his first career start against William & Mary, throwing for 251 yards and two TDs while completing over 75 percent of his passes. For both Ohio State and quarterback J.T. Barrett — who had an admirable start to his career, passing for 226 yards and 2 TDs while only throwing one interception — this game will be a good barometer for where they stand in the national picture. Barrett also led the team in rushing. While neither team possesses much offensive firepower, Ohio State’s consistent attack and playmakers might just be the difference in the game. But if Beamerball comes to play, the Buckeyes may in trouble early.

Pittsburgh at Boston College

In a matchup of two former Big East foes, the Pittsburgh Panthers will take on the Eagles of Boston College as they meet for the first time in 10 years. In both teams’ week one cakewalks against the University of Delaware and UMASS, respectively, each found notable success on the ground, racking up a combined 747 yards. But the same could not be said for each team’s aerial attack, as each squad ranks lower than 92nd in passing offense after week one. Expect this one to be decided by whatever team can make a play on defense or make a crucial stop. Four points or fewer have decided four of the last eight meetings between these two. No offensive fireworks in this contest — just a grind-it-out, hard-nosed football game.

No. 20 Kansas State at Iowa State

The Iowa State Cyclones will host the Kansas State Wildcats in a matchup that looks like a severe mismatch on paper. After an embarrassing 34-14 performance on their home field against FCS opponent North Dakota State, the Cyclones will try to pick themselves up and take down the No. 20 team from Manhattan, Kansas. And to add a little salt to the flesh wound that Iowa State sustained in week one, they also lost their 2nd leading receiver from last year, Quenton Bundrage, to an ACL injury for the season. The Wildcats, on the other hand, looked like a well-oiled machine in their week one drubbing of inferior Stephen F. Austin, especially at quarterback, as second-year starter Jake Waters accounted for almost 300 yards of offense and four scores on the day. The only possibility of a letdown here would be if the Wildcats take the day off with Auburn looming on the horizon in week three; but don’t expect Bill Snyder — now in his 23rd year as head coach — to let that happen.

No. 15 Ole Miss at Vanderbilt

In a game featuring teams headed in complete opposite directions, the Ole Miss Rebels travel to Nashville to take on the Vanderbilt Commodores. The Rebels put on a show in week one, dismantling Boise State on national television by a score of 35-13. Quarterback Bo Wallace, who was greatly criticized last year for his inconsistent play, seemed firmly in control of the offense, and gutted the Bronco defense for 387 yards in the air. The Commodores on the other hand, who are reeling ever since the departure of head coach James Franklin, got blasted by lowly Temple 37-7 in a game where the Vandy couldn’t even muster 300 yards of total offense. It can probably be assumed that ball security will be a point of emphasis this week as the ‘Dores turned it over 7 times throughout the ballgame, leading to 27 points off turnovers for the Owls. Look for the Rebels to take a comfortable lead at halftime and cruise to victory in this one.

Brigham Young at Texas

When the BYU Cougars travel to Darryl K. Royal Memorial Stadium on Saturday, there will only be one thing on the minds of the Texas players as they watch their opponent run onto the field: revenge. In last year’s meeting between the two teams, a 40-21 blowout upset by BYU which ended in the firing of the Longhorn’s defensive coordinator Manny Diaz and the departure of longtime head coach Mack Brown, the defense was gashed for over 550 yards on the ground. Unfortunately for the Longhorns, most of the impact players on offense return for the Cougars, including quarterback Taysom Hill, who already had over 400 yards of total offense last week against UCONN. Texas’ starting quarterback David Ash, suffered a concussion in their week 1 game against North Texas and will be out of the commission, leaving it up to sophomore Tyrone Swoopes to lead the offense. If the Longhorns can get anything going on the ground, they could be pretty hard to stop.