Fashion Board unlatches trunk of prizes

Those looking for a new way to spice up their wardrobe for fall needed to look no further than Russell House Ballroom last night.

The Fashion Board at USC teamed up with Teen Vogue on Tuesday night  to bring students a chance to grab free merchandise and win eclectic, designer prizes via a trunk party.

The event's main feature was a style swap that had about 80 participants, the largest style swap The Fashion Board has ever hosted. To take part in the event each attendee had to bring one article of new or gently used clothing to swap with someone else. The swap was a great event for anyone wanting to switch up their style and try something new, and shop around for a new look without having to spend a lot of money.

After the swap, Fashion Board members raffled off 12 items donated by various retailers including Delia’s, Silver Jeans and Teen Vogue. Each participant at the party could put their ticket in the raffle in exchange for one item of their choice.

Alana Fuscardo, the public relations director of Fashion Board, said that Teen Vogue reached out to their campus representatives at USC called ItGirls and asked if they would be interested in hosting a trunk party.

“It’s a great way to kick off the school year,” she said. “We get to work with great companies and get people excited about fashion early on.”

Fashion Board has hosted style swaps before, but this event, being hosted on a larger scale, attracted a much bigger crowd. Many girls noticed the networking opportunity and decided to get involved with the student organization. 

Susie Edwards, a third-year English student came for just this reason. “I’ve been wanting to join Fashion Board for a while,” she said. “This seemed like a great way to meet the members.”

Such a large turnout for Fashion Board will hopefully mean that for other events hosted this season, the organization will see an equally large turnout and have the opportunity to expand even more and host more events such as this one.

Each year Teen Vogue sponsors 25 different schools across the nation, bringing raffle prizes and free beauty items to colleges. Schools who host the parties compete to get the most social media hype surrounding their event. The winning school gets a free surprise party hosted by Teen Vogue.

Fashion Board will host several other events this year, including the annual USC Fashion Week. Fashion Board will also host a Parents Weekend Style Workshop this Friday at 4 p.m. in Russell House 203. Parents and students can come out to the event, get some style advice and win door prizes from local retailers. For more information on upcoming Fashion Board events and for how to get more involved with Fashion Board, visit their Facebook page, "Fashion Board at USC."