Kayla's Cakes: Student turns lifelong hobby into career goal

Growing up, kids tend to complain about helping in the kitchen — but for 21-year-old, hospitality student Kayla Moody, it was inspiring. Moody plans to turn her life-long passion for baking into a career.

Moody’s 10 years of baking experience were entirely self-taught, learning all of her technique by baking with family and watching the Food Network for hours on end. Apart from her mom, Moody’s biggest inspirations have been Chef Duff Goldman from “Ace of Cakes” and Chef Buddy Valastro from “Cake Boss.”

Once coming to college, the student baker transitioned from making cookies and other smaller treats to making big, elaborate fondant cakes for her family and friends.

Her first commissioned project was a bright red, Mickey Mouse themed layer cake made for her nephew’s birthday. Since that time she has made cakes with themes like “Winnie the Pooh,” firefighters, construction, “How to Train Your Dragon” and more.

The aspiring baker has already taken several steps to achieve her goal of being a professional baker, including taking USC’s Wedding Planning and Management course and getting a job at the Blue Flour Bakery in Irmo. At the bakery, Moody decorates cupcakes, bakes small items and makes icing.

“I’ve definitely learned how to run a bakery while working there,” Moody said. “I’ve learned a lot of techniques like piping and how to work with different frostings. It’s been a great experience.”

Outside her work environment, Moody takes a laid back approach to her baking.

“I use my parent’s kitchen, because they have more counter space,” Moody said. “I never use any professional equipment — just a regular kitchen.”

It can take between 10 and 14 hours for her to complete one cake, even with the help of a friend.

Moody is set to graduate in December, and has big plans to continue her education. After taking a semester off to work and save money, she plans to move to Charleston and attend Trident Technical College to get a culinary arts degree.

Most of the cakes Moody has baked have been for birthdays or graduations, but she has much bigger dreams for her future.

“I’m going to school to learn how to run a business, because I want to own my own bakery,” she said. “I want to start out making small things like cookies or brownies, but my ultimate goal is to design wedding cakes.”