Women's soccer returns to winning ways Sunday

<p>Sophomore Chelsea Drennan sealed the deal for the Gamecocks Sunday, scoring her first goal of the season in a win over High Point.</p>
Sophomore Chelsea Drennan sealed the deal for the Gamecocks Sunday, scoring her first goal of the season in a win over High Point.

South Carolina dispatches High Point behind goals from Johnson, Drennan

The No. 9 South Carolina women’s soccer team came away with a 2-0 victory against High Point on Sunday afternoon.

The win put the Gamecocks record at 5-1-0 and gives the Panthers their first loss of the season (2-1-2).

After High Point recorded the first shot of the game, the Gamecocks rattled off the final 14 attempts of the first half, including 10 on net.

Junior Raina Johnson scored the first goal of the contest — her third of the season — in the 16th minute on an assist from freshman Savannah McCaskill. The duo tried to connect a few minutes earlier, but Johnson’s shot was saved by the Panther’s keeper.

In the 26th minute, the Gamecocks had a trio of corner kicks, but were unable to capitalize after a series of shots on goal from senior Christa Neary and freshman Dominique Babbitt. They were close to netting their second goal on a shot from sophomore Daija Griffin, but were denied by the post.
In the 40th minute of play, sophomore Chelsea Drennan scored her first goal of the season off a header from a set up by senior Andie Romness, serving it up from a free kick.

The Gamecock win was a much-needed bounce back after their first loss of the season came at the hands of rival Clemson in the previous game.

Afterwards, head coach Shelley Smith praised her team for its efforts in the win.

“I was proud of them today, they came out and played. We got back to some of the things that we do well,” she said. “We wanted to make sure we did that coming off of Friday night. I told the team, ‘You learn from losses.’”

The shutout from senior goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo marked the 24th of her career, ranking her second in school history just behind Mollie Patton (31).

The defense stepped up notably after Friday’s loss from Clemson, only allowing High Point to post three shots, with none of them being on net, which Smith took notice of.

“They stepped up, they were organized and didn’t give High Point many looks at all,” she said. “I was definitely proud of their efforts, winning the 50/50 battles, and settling down when we did win it, and when we lost the ball we did a great job to win it back.”

With SEC play coming up on the horizon, South Carolina will finish up its non-conference play with a trip to Tampa, Florida to take part in the USF Soccer Classic. The Gamecocks challenge South Florida Friday and finish off with Florida Gulf Coast Sunday.

Smith has also been pleased with the way the player rotations have worked out for the team.

“I’m glad we’re getting more time and experience for everyone. The more time we get for everyone, the more experience, the better we are and more depth we can use,” she said. “I’m happy we’ve had a chance to see more players, and what they can do when they see another opponent.”