On-campus arrests, sex offenses up, according to annual crime report

Liquor law-related arrests and reported sexual offenses increased on USC’s campus in 2013, according to the university’s annual crime and security report released Wednesday.

On-campus liquor law violations went from 10 in 2012 to 46 last year, contributing to a 25 percent increase in overall on-campus arrests in 2013. 

Of the 86 on-campus drug law-related arrests, 48 were in residence halls. 

Three of the four forcible sex offenses reported to USCPD were in on-campus residence halls. Last year’s four reports are an increase from 2012, when there were two and 2011 when there was one.

Reports for the 2013 calendar year were the first to include reports of domestic violence, dating violence and stalking, but USC’s statistics indicated no such offenses were reported. 

On-campus burglaries and motor vehicle thefts both saw lowered rates from 2012, as did residence hall fires. 

In 2013, 13 counts of harassment and stalking were reported to the office of Sexual Assault and Violence Intervention & Prevention. There were 10 sexual assaults reported to SAVIP, as well as three reports of domestic violence and 37 reports of relationship and dating violence. These numbers are not included in the overall crime totals, as they have not been investigated or confirmed against the Department of Law Enforcement and Safety’s latest reporting and some come from anonymous tips.

In terms of the SEC, USC ranks fifth in total number of on-campus crimes. (The University of Georgia is not included in this count, due to a difference in the format of the data.) Mississippi State University reported the fewest crimes on campus with 22, while the University of Mississippi reported the most with 130. 

Univiersities across the country are required by law to report campus, non-campus and public property crimes each year under the Clerty Act. On-campus statistics represent crimes reported on property owned or controlled by the university; property “reasonably contiguous to other University owned property; and property used by the school “in direct support or in relation to the university’s educational purpose.”