Around the SEC: 3 top-25 clashes highlight big week in conference

Mississippi defensive back Senquez Golson intercepts Boise State in the end zone during the first quarter at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014. (Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/MCT)

No. 3 Alabama at No. 11 Ole Miss

The Rebels avoided a near letdown at the hands of Memphis last Saturday to secure College GameDay’s presence in Oxford this weekend. The last time we saw the Crimson Tide, the rest of the SEC swooned, as it witnessed the blossoming of the lethal connection between Blake Sims and Amari Cooper connection in a 42-21 rout of Florida. Sims threw for over 400 yards and four touchdowns in the victory, hitting Cooper  — who amassed 201 yards  — for three of them. All eyes will be on Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace to see if the senior can deliver in a big moment. When the Gamecocks needed Wallace most last year in the second-to-last game of the year against Missouri, Wallace turned in an uninspired performance, failing to record a touchdown and engineering just 10 points. Through four games this year, Wallace  has already thrown an SEC-worst six interceptions. Carelessness with the football will not fly against a Crimson Tide defense that has adjusted for the better since an unconvincing win over West Virginia in the opener. The saving grace for Ole Miss may be the defensive unit that has only allowed 8.5 points per game. If they can’t keep the Crimson Tide under 30 points, the Rebel’s chances will most likely take a crushing blow.

No. 6 Texas A&M at No. 12 Mississippi State

The Bulldogs were unranked before their last game,  but a road win at LSU coupled with losses elsewhere in the country has Dan Mullen’s bunch on the verge of the top ten. With a week off to refocus, Mississippi State will be raring to go in one of their bigger home games in recent memory. Meanwhile, Texas A&M needed 200 yards and three touchdowns from quarterback Kenny Hill in the fourth quarter and overtime alone to erase a 14-point deficit in order to defeat Arkansas last weekend. Hill leads the SEC in passing yards and has the Aggies on the verge of their first 6-0 start since 1994, something Johnny Manziel never did. Saturday’s contest will likely see Hill and Bulldog quarterback Dak Prescott jockey for position in the Heisman race, but it may be the defense that can overcome a new challenge that will decide this game. The Aggies’ spread offense is unparalleled to anything the Bulldogs have seen this year, while Prescott is the most dangerous dual-threat quarterback in the SEC. If the game is decided late, the Aggies may have the edge. Texas A&M leads the nation this year in fourth quarter scoring margin, while the Bulldogs are 100th.

No. 15 LSU at No. 5 Auburn

Of the six SEC West teams in the AP Top 15, LSU is the only one with a loss. This fact alone may be enough to give Les Miles’ squad the upper hand at Auburn. Saturday marks the beginning of a brutal stretch for Auburn that will make it earn its way back to the SEC title game and then some. Following this Tiger-Tiger showdown, Auburn has five straight against Mississippi State, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Georgia.  Regarding elements of the non-supernatural kind, Auburn’s offense has not looked overly impressive thus far. It took a stout defensive effort for the Tigers to survive Kansas State a couple weeks ago, as their offense attempts to climb out of the bottom of the SEC in many statistical categories. LSU is hoping freshman quarterback Brandon Harris will be the spark the Tigers need. Harris took over for sophomore Anthony Jennings early in last week’s win over New Mexico State, after Jennings turned the ball over three times. If LSU is to stay alive in the National Playoff race, they'll need to pick up a huge road win. Alabama, Texas A&M and Ole Miss still remain.