Gamecocks jump off to quick start

Swim and dive team takes 14 of 16 events

South Carolina's Samantha Kraus competes on Perfekt during the Equitation Over Fences competition against Texas A&M in Blythewood, S.C., Friday, March 28, 2014. (Tim Dominick/The State/MCT)

South Carolina's men's swim and dive team earned a dominant win against the Wildcats in its season-opening match. 

The Gamecocks took 14 of 16 events, ultimately winning the match 207.5-92.5. Freshman Nils Wich-Glasen led the Gamecocks with three wins, including a victory in the 100 breaststroke, the 200 breaststroke and the 200 IM in his collegiate debut with South Carolina.

"I'm extremely excited by our performance today," head coach McGee Moody said. "This is by far the best group effort — both men and women — that I've seen in my seven years coaching at South Carolina. Our men were dominant. They raced like they wanted it. Our women were impressive. They came up short in the score, but they made an impression by the way they raced today."

The women’s team fell to the Wildcats 123 to 177, but freshman Meredith Vay won her first collegiate race in freestyle, while senior Victoria Mitchell and sophomore Caroline Petrone posted personal bests in freestyle also. Mitchell's personal best came in the 1,000 freestyle, and her 9:57.92 in the event places third all-time in school history. Petrone set a personal record in the 50 freestyle with a 24.13 time.  The women’s team will look to improve relays after failing to get wins in relays against Kentucky.

The dive team performed well against Kentucky as well, winning all four events on both the women’s and men’s sides. Seniors Cole Miller and Patricia Kranz earned victories in both one and three-meter events.  

South Carolina's men's team has a week to prepare before traveling to Georgia Tech in the team's second match of the season. The Yellow Jackets dropped their first match of the season against Penn State but rebounded the next day, picking up a win against Navy.  

The Fighting Irish secured a win against Michigan State to open up their season, then placed second in the Dennis Stark Relays. The event featured Ohio State, Notre Dame, Illinois State as well as Olivet Nazarene.

The Gamecocks' men's team and women's team are slated to jump off this Friday at 4 p.m. in Atlanta, Georgia.