Italian Festival comes to Columbia

It just makes sense that the Italian Festival would come with a Bocce tournament.

Bocce is a ball sport much like bowling — best known to Americans as bocce ball — that originated in the Roman Empire and developed into what it is today in Italy.  Americans mostly just play it at the beach, but in Italy, it’s a bonafide pastime.

And it’s just one of many authentic touches to look forward to at Bella Italia’s seventh annual Italian Festival this weekend.  The festival will take over downtown Saturday, Oct. 4 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on 1615 and 1616 Blanding Street.  The event is free and open to the public.

The list of events is a mile long. First off, a copious lineup of entertainment will be running all day: Palmetto Opera Singers, Strolling Accordionist, The Fettuccini Brothers and more.

The festival offers a number of family friendly activities with an Italian flair. “Carnivale” mask making is an old festival favorite with an authentic twist; old-country Italian games are as educational as they are fun; and good luck finding grape stomping at any other festival.

Then, of course, there’s the food. American food is basically Italian food already, so it won’t be a huge stretch to sample the fresh pastas, breads, pepperoni rolls, sausages and other savory Italian treats.

Whether you want to learn more about Italian culture or just have a fun Saturday out, the Italian Festival is here for one day and one day only.