Trustus Theatre stages production of "The Other Place"

Trustus Theatre addresses a societal concern while entertaining audiences of all ages with its new play, “The Other Place.”

“The Other Place,” written by Sharr White, opened in New York in the beginning of 2013 and  will make its Columbia debut at Trustus. It is directed by Jim O’Connor,  distinguished artist and USC theater professor.

The story centers on Juliana Smithton, a successful 52-year-old neurologist, whose life is slowly unraveling, as she realizes that her husband is sleeping with another woman, her daughter ran off with the assistant and her doctor just won’t listen to her.

“I have a strong belief that theater has to be entertaining but also be something beyond that and serve some social function,” O’Connor said. “I think this play and its subject matter address both of those. It addresses a very, very important contemporary issue in our society.”

Multiple story lines overlap and develop as Smithton is presenting her recent medical discovery, a drug that can slow the effects of dementia. This mysterious play comes to life in the cozy black box theater at Trustus.

“I have had to really direct it with a gentler hand to try and make the production match the space match the audience,” O’Connor said. “One of the most interesting things I think about live theater is the give and take between audience and performance.”

Smithton is performed by Erica Tobolski, associate professor of theatre at USC. Tobolski is a well-known voice and diction coach in Columbia, as well as around the world. 

“I find that I am becoming more like her,” Tobolski said. “Juliana is self-confident and arrogant, and it seems that my temper has become very quick lately.”

The play is performed by an ensemble of four, but Smithton never leaves the stage. She speaks for approximately 80 minutes almost without stopping while time and place change regularly and rapidly around her.

“The structure of the play is extremely complicated,” Tobolski said. “Tracking all of the realities was the most difficult [part].”

O’Connor utilized a variety of elements to clearly express the complicated aspect of time and space. Light cues, sound cues, vocal variations and minimal set changes transport the audience through different moments of Smithton's life. As the play develops, these elements overlap to confuse the audience and create uncertainty in everyone’s minds. Viewers may leave Trustus  questioning their future and present.

“The Other Place” will run from Oct. 17, 2014 to Nov. 1, 2014. Tickets are $20 per seat. 

“Theater is not off the rack — it is tailor made,” O’Connor said. “This script, this cast, these designers, this theater, Columbia ... You are adapting it every second to fit.”