Women's tennis returns from UVa Fall Invite

Blevins claims singles title over weekend

The South Carolina women’s tennis team traveled to Charlottesville, Virginia this weekend to compete in the UVa Fall Invite.

Beginning Friday, both Gamecock doubles teams advanced to the semifinals.

Senior Meghan Blevins and sophomore Brigit Folland defeated Northwestern’s Erin Larner and Brooke Rischbieth in their first match. However, the South Carolina pair was defeated in the semifinals by a pair from Virginia.

Sophomores Natalie Looney and Caroline Dailey defeated Northwestern's Alex Chatt and Jillian Rooney 8-5, but then suffered a loss to a Marshall duo in a tiebreaker.

In singles, Blevins faired just fine on her own, defeating Marshall’s Marija Bogicevic in three sets 4-6, 6-2, 7-6. Looney, on the other hand, fell to Virginia’s Marie Faure 7-6, 6-4. Dailey was also defeated by No. 121 Shannon Hudson of Arkansas 6-2, 4-6, 6-1. Also, Folland was defeated by Virginia’s Skylar Morton 6-3, 6-3.

Saturday, Looney suffered a loss to Northwestern’s Rheeya Doshi 6-4, 7-5.  

In the consolation quarterfinals, Dailey defeated Northwestern’s Manon Peri 6-7, 6-2, 6-1 but was quickly defeated by Northwestern’s Rischbieth 6-4, 6-3.

Blevins advanced to the championship game on Sunday by defeating Arkansas’s Natassia Rubel 6-1, 6-1, and Maryland’s Kristina Hovsepyan 6-3, 6-0.

Sunday’s matches consisted of Looney, Dailey and Folland all defeating their opponents.

Blevins took on Northwestern’s Lok Sze Leung, winning the singles championship 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Blevins is now undefeated in her last six matches.

South Carolina will be back on the road in Chapel Hill, North Carolina at the USTA/ITA Carolina Regional Championships starting Thursday.