Ask Dailey

Basically, my dad wants to kill me because I spent way too much on my credit card. I literally have no idea how I spent so much money, but it’s a lot. What can I do to keep track of my money?

— Credit Crazy Chris

Listen, plastic is your worst enemy. You have no idea how much you’re really spending until you think to check it online or you get an insane bill. You got the insane bill and now you know it’s probably better to take out cash. Only allow yourself to take out a certain amount every week and actually stick to it. You may not be used to keeping track of money yet, but you’ll learn to keep it in the back of your mind. Remember: credit cards should be for emergencies, not just to fuel you to do or buy whatever you want.

I am broke. The last time I went to Cook-Out I paid in loose change. I am comically broke most of the time because I pay my own bills and tuition, and all my money from work goes straight into living expenses. But I feel bad that I never get to hang out with my friends. I don’t want to be the one who’s always too broke to do anything. Help?

— Broke Betty

Betty, this is college. We’re all broke. Believe it or not, all your friends could probably use a night to watch movies. Well, their bank accounts could use it anyway. Tell your friends about your situation if they don’t already know. It’s a really difficult (but respectable) thing that you’re doing, paying your own way, and your friends should respect that. You can have fun doing whatever — don’t worry about going shopping all the time or going to see every movie in the theater. Window shop, go home, pull up Netflix and enjoy each other's company.