Kentucky's recent struggles provide optimism

Stuck in a rough patch would be the perfect way to describe the Gamecocks at this point of the season.

The inability to finish strong in losses against teams like Auburn and even wins against Alabama suggests that South Carolina is quickly losing its foothold on the Southeastern Conference.

Currently the second-worst team in the SEC, the Gamecocks need to recapture the magic that they played with the last time the Wildcats visited Colonial Life Arena in order to put up a fight against the undisputed No. 1 team in the nation.

Head coach Frank Martin knows what his team is up against and understands the Gamecocks can't afford to make many mistakes.

“This league is too good,” Martin said, alluding to the depth of the conference.

South Carolina (10-7, 1-4 SEC) will host Kentucky for the first time since the upset of then-No. 17 Kentucky last season.

Kentucky basketball has earned a reputation for developing solid basketball teams throughout its history, and this currently undefeated season is no different. The Wildcats have sent 12 teams to the national championship in program history and have won eight titles, including their most recent in 2012.

And even though the Gamecocks have not had the season many hoped for so far, recent events could give them an edge on this upcoming game.

The Wildcats (18-0, 5-0 SEC) recently squeaked out a 65-57 victory against Vanderbilt at Kentucky's home floor. But Vanderbilt, hardly a giant in the conference, has only one conference win under its belt thus far.

Along with this close call of a win, Kentucky has had two other experiences hinting its undefeated season could come to an end.

Another came in the form of a home game against an Ole Miss team that is ranked 9th in the SEC. This match up resulted in overtime with the Wildcats pulling out a win of just 89-86.

The next scare threatening to burn out their fire was an away game against Texas A&M (12-5, 3-2 SEC) which is ranked fifth in the SEC. These two teams go into not just overtime but double overtime. Kentucky managed to put the win under their belt with a score of 70-64.

These two shaky games, along with the Vanderbilt game, have allowed doubt to creep in about whether Kentucky can keep this unvanquished record for long.

South Carolina knows how to win a home game when the odds are not in its favor, as we saw in the recent Alabama matchup.

The Gamecocks were still riding a losing streak traveling back home, and the odds of winning against Alabama were stacked against them. Nevertheless, the Gamecocks managed to beat the Crimson Tide 68-66.

Athletes will agree they plays better at home with the support of their fans, and South Carolina's is no different.

South Carolina has won seven out of its 10 home games so far this season compared to its rate of away or neutral site games, winning only three out of seven.

With the home court advantage and dedicated fans to support them, the Gamecocks have ample fuel to propel them to win this next home game.