Sleater-Kinney just won't quit

Sleater-Kinney, the epitome of feminist punk rock, is back after a 10-year hiatus from the music scene. “No Cities to Love” proves that time means nothing when it comes to talent.

The Washington-based band were classically trained on their own accord but united when lead singer Corin Tucker and guitarist Carrie Brownstein became acquainted through mutual gigs of their former bands.

Deeply rooted in the "riot grrl" movement, a '90s feminist underground punk movement, Sleater-Kinney’s musical style depicts a lot of social struggles. “No Cities to Love” doesn’t switch away from this model — it screams “female empowerment." 

Plain and simple, Sleater-Kinney is absolutely astounding on this album. The guitar riffs are raw. Brownstein is no stranger to shredding out bold chords, while drummer Janet Weiss’ loud, syncopated beats add to the sucker punch of sound on this record. And let’s not forget Tucker’s versatile and powerful vocal range that seamlessly complements the instrumentation.

Many of the songs deal with themes of feminism, sticking it to the man, and distaste for the 9-5 schedule, as well as the occasional, casual criticism of capitalism, such as with “Price Tag." However, tracks like “A New Wave” are simpler in subject matter. “A New Wave” deals with self-reliance, self-discovery as well as an overlying theme of individualism. The lyrics prove to be gripping in imagery, as is apparent in “Fangless".  A lot of the tracks end abruptly, which is classic Sleater-Kinney. “No Cities to Love” sometimes seems more concentrated in the instrumentals, which is refreshing.

Perhaps the most iconic track of this album is one of the lead singles, “Surface Envy." The chromatic guitar riff is powerful. The vocals are piercing, yet pleasant to the ear. This power ballad could easily be your next night on the town anthem, especially with the lyrics “We win, we lose,/Only together till we break the rules.” The titular track, “No Cities to Love”, is one of the slower tracks but still jam packed and slightly reminiscent of Blondie.

Sleater-Kinney’s “No Cities to Love” is definitely out there but not inaccessible. It is rock and roll, after all.