Team's leadership begins with experienced outfield

Much like South Carolina's infield, the team's three starting outfielders bring a wealth of experience into the 2015 season.

Senior Connor Bright will continue to be an everyday player for the team. Last season, Bright hit .311 with 50 hits in 161 plate appearances. Bright suffered from a few injuries last season, but has been looking strong and impressive for the upcoming season.

“He did hit over .300 last year and had some big hits for us,” head coach Chad Holbrook said. “He’s a senior, and typically around here ... our older guys tend to have their best years their senior year, and I would expect Connor to do that. He’s been very important for us the last couple of years and he’s important to us this year.”

The Gamecocks will also use senior Patrick Harrington to their advantage this year. Harrington finished the 2014 season with a .172 batting average, with only 10 hits in 58 at bats. Coming back stronger and working harder this year, Harrington is not only looking for a better season, but is hoping to mold into a leader for the team.

“(I want to) do my best for the team and to definitely take one game at a time,” Harrington said. “And (I want to) make sure that we’re all prepared and that we all play our part in every situation.”

Senior Elliott Caldwell also appears to be a key component of South Carolina's leadership this year. After batting .254 last season with 31 hits in 122 at bats, Caldwell can add much needed defense in left field and powerful hitting to the Gamecocks' roster.

“Elliot Caldwell’s been impressive,” Holbrook said. “He's had a great fall ... He's been great since we’ve been back.”

Looking to add some big bats to the top of the lineup, Holbrook plans to utilize sophomore Gene Cone. Cone made a good impression on the Gamecocks in 2014, batting .221 with 23 hits in 104 at bats. Holbrook feels that after throwing Cone in prematurely last season, he produced good numbers, and he thinks he can do it again this year.

“As far as the top of the lineup, you know, Gene Cone has separated himself,” Holbrook said. “He’s a different player than he was a year ago ... We kind of had to throw him in the fire last year because of the injuries and he probably wasn’t ready, but he competed for us, he gave us some great at bats, and he got some big hits for us.”

And there's some younger action seen in the outfield this season — three of South Carolina’s outfielders are freshmen, which will add some young talent to the lineup. Freshmen Zack Madden, Clark Scolamiero and utility player Alex Destino strive to perform well within a team of strong players.

Destino, who also serves as a left-hand pitcher, is someone who Holbrook has already seen a lot of early potential in. He has the hitting power and the defense to really help give the Gamecocks a successful season.