Gamecocks power over Paladins baseball at home

Senior Elliott Caldwell fell a home run shy of the cycle Tuesday, but collected four hits to power the Gamecocks past the Paladins 5-2.

Caldwell was a perfect 4-for-4 on the day, picking up three RBIs on two doubles, a single and a triple.

Senior Kyle Martin and junior Max Schrock also posted an RBI each.

Sophomore Matthew Vogel garnered the start and worked around a shaky opening frame. He issued a walk to the first Furman batter he faced and gave up an RBI double to junior Jordan Simpson three batters later.

Vogel worked a spotless second inning, but was yanked in favor of freshman Clarke Schmidt after yielding another run.

A pair of singles coupled with a hit by pitch in the bottom of the third inning set the table for Caldwell, who delivered a bases-clearing triple that put the Gamecocks up 3-2.

Martin singled Caldwell in to provide an insurance run that South Carolina did not end up needing.

Schmidt scattered four hits over 4 2/3 innings pitched and never allowed a runner past second base.

Freshman Brandon Murray entered in the eighth inning, needing only 20 pitches to pick up his first career save.

"I think I've been saying for a while that Clarke and Brandon have the chance to be a big part of the future here, they have good arms, good demeanor and they compete," head coach Chad Holbrook said. "They're out there in a new environment and new situations, and they're freshmen, but I sit there as their coach and I don't feel like they're freshmen when they're in the game. They have a calming influence on me, and that's a great compliment to a freshman."

South Carolina opens a three-game weekend series against Northeastern Friday.