Brief: Gamecock bats come alive in 11-3 win against High Point

Playing in its third game in as many days, the South Carolina baseball team (9-3) enjoyed one of its best offensive performances of the season during Wednesday’s 11-3 victory against High Point (2-8). 

With the victory, the Gamecocks have now responded to Monday’s 7-0 defeat against Clemson with two straight wins.

South Carolina recorded 12 hits and scored all 11 of their runs in the first four innings of the game, including a four-run first inning.  

Meanwhile, South Carolina junior pitcher Preston Johnson made his first appearance of the season and earned the win thanks to 3.2 scoreless innings of work out of the bullpen.

Sophomore pitcher Matthew Vogel started his second game of the year for the Gamecocks and the Medford, New York native gave up two runs, one of which was unearned, in 3.2 innings.  

One of six different South Carolina batters to get a hit, senior first baseman Kyle Martin had a team-best four RBIs against the Panthers and hit his second home run of the year.  

Freshman designated hitter Alex Destino was once again productive at the plate for the Gamecocks and had three hits while junior second baseman Max Schrock had three RBIs and a home run. 

South Carolina will have one day off before starting a three-game series with Miami (Ohio) on Friday.