Rapid reaction: South Carolina 3 Penn State 0

The seventh-ranked Gamecocks (13-3) recorded their third shutout in four games against the struggling Nittany Lions (1-9) Tuesday night.

Reagan Returns to Form

Sophomore Josh Reagan got the start on the mound after head coach Chad Holbrook started freshman Clarke Schmidt in his place on Sunday. The lefty from Lexington, South Carolina was dominant today; Reagan pitched 6.2 innings giving up just one hit and three walks on his way to his first win of the season. He struck out four and lowered his season ERA to 2.79 in the shutout.

Offense Continues to Struggle

South Carolina got just enough out of their offense to give Reagan some breathing room. The Gamecocks scored just three runs on five hits against a team that had given up at least five runs in all but one of their games thus far.

Junior Max Schrock and senior Kyle Martin each had an RBI double in the third inning after senior Elliot Caldwell scored on a throwing error the frame before. 

Freshman DH Alex Destino missed his third straight game with what is believed to be a sore thumb, and the Gamecocks once again missed his presence at the plate. Gamecock designated hitters have gone 0-10 with six strikeouts in his absence.

Mincey Added to Mix

Senior relief pitcher Cody Mincey was allowed to play today after being suspended before the season for a violation of team rules. Mincey entered the game in the ninth, allowing a hit and a walk before earning the save.

Up Next

South Carolina will conclude the two game series against Penn State Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Kentucky Wildcats will come to Carolina Stadium for a three game series beginning Friday at 7 p.m.