Bats come alive, Gamecocks dominate

Returning home after going 1-2 this past weekend on the road against Mississippi State, the South Carolina baseball team returned home to Carolina Stadium Tuesday night and defeated Appalachian State 11-1, improving its home record to 18-5.

Because of inclement weather, the game was called after seven innings of play.

With the win, South Carolina improves to 22-11 on the season.

Although South Carolina’s offensive production has been up and down and has fluctuated this season, the Gamecock batters enjoyed great success against the Mountaineers, putting up 11 runs on 14 hits.

Making his second start on the mound for South Carolina, sophomore pitcher Reed Scott earned the win, tossing five innings of zero-run ball while striking out six batters.

One of several South Carolina batters to have a dominant performance at the plate, sophomore outfielder Gene Cone led the Gamecocks with three RBIs, batting 3-3 with three singles.

South Carolina wasted no time in getting things started, scoring six of its runs in the bottom of the first inning.

The Gamecocks would cruise to a victory from that point on, adding a run in the third inning and four more in the fourth frame.

As a team, South Carolina batted .424 against the Mountaineers as Appalachian State lost its third game in its last four contests.

Sophomore pitcher Sean Mason started on the mound for the visiting Mountaineers, but he lasted only 0.2 innings, surrendering six runs, five earned and no strikeouts.

Senior outfielder Elliott Caldwell continued his hot start to the season for the Gamecocks, driving in two runs while also hitting a triple.

In total, nine different batters recorded a hit for South Carolina as the Gamecocks reached the 10 run mark for the seventh time this season.

After Scott exited the game, freshman relief pitcher Canaan Cropper pitched two innings, giving up one run.

With the win, South Carolina has now won back-to-back non-conference games, and the Gamecocks will take the field again on Wednesday, playing host to The Citadel.

South Carolina defeated The Citadel 2-0 in Charleston last week.

After facing the Bulldogs, the Gamecocks will resume conference play when they travel to face the Florida Gators.

Despite sweeping Kentucky to begin its SEC slate, South Carolina has gone just 3-6 since then against SEC opponents.

Before the game, members of the South Carolina women’s basketball team were recognized. Gamecock head coach Dawn Staley addressed the crowd and she — along with senior Aleighsa Welch, Elem Ibiam and freshman Kaydra Duckett — threw out the ceremonial first pitch.