Pitcher Blue shuts out spartans

South Carolina faced the USC Upstate on Tuesday, pulling away late to shut out the Spartans by a score of 3-0.

The Gamecocks came into this game with an impressive home record of 17-6, and head coach Beverly Smith says she enjoys the home field advantage.

“It is a great feeling to be back at home, the fans are so amazing,” Smith said. “We certainly play better when are at our home and it shows.”

The Gamecocks and the Spartans both began the game with solid defense and pitching for the first two innings. The teams combined for just three hits in that span.

South Carolina broke the slow start and drew first blood in the bottom of the fourth inning. An error by the Spartans allowed junior Ansley Ard to reach third on a bunt single. Sophomore Kaylea Snaer then belted the ball down the right field line for a single. Even though the Gamecocks left three runners on base during the fourth, they put the first run on the board.

The Gamecock defense stayed sharp as Ard and freshman Krystan White both played well.

In the sixth inning, errors continued to plague the Spartans. After struggling on the mound, the Spartans pitcher hit sophomore Lauren Masters with a pitch to send her to first. Kyrstan Watts came in as a pinch runner for Masters, and she would later make it around the bases with the help of a sacrifice bunt by senior Sarah Mooney and a rip down the left field line by senior Kristen Struett. Junior Alaynie Page would also come home for the Gamecocks to gain a 3-0 lead.

The Gamecocks were able to come away with a win as the defense stood their ground. A diving catch in the outfield and a ground out in the infield sealed the deal. Sophomore Nickie Blue was unstoppable on the mound, pitching a shutout and allowing only one hit in seven innings.

“The defense played tremendously and got the outs when we needed them. They gave me the confidence that I needed to finish the game,” Blue said. “Whenever and wherever it was hit, I knew that we were going to get it.”

The Gamecocks will continue a four-game home stretch when they host the Arkansas Razorbacks beginning Friday at 6 p.m.