Weekend Calendar: 4/10-4/12

FRIDAY

GRAND-GUIGNOL RADIO THEATRE

Gambrell Auditorium (153)

Fri and Sat, 7 p.m., Free

USC's French student theater troupe, the Comédiens Carolingiens, will perform an adaptation of two Grand-Guignol plays. The performances will incorporate recorded sound effects and black-and-white movie clips and will be in French. English synopses will be provided.

AN EVENING WITH JOHNNY MATHIS

Koger Center for the Arts, 1051 Greene St.

Sat, 7:30 p.m., Tickets begin at $39

The longest-running artist on Columbia Records, Mathis has performed everything from Christmas music to jazz standards. He is an icon for American standard music and will be performing some of his hit songs at the Koger Center.

SATURDAY

GARNET & BLACK SPRING GAME

Williams-Brice Stadium, 1125 George Rogers Blvd.

Sat, noon, Free

The Gamecock football team will hold its final practice of the spring in this full-length scrimmage. Two Gamecock squads face off in a game with real referees, real points and a recognition of several athletic teams at halftime. Parking is available at the State Fairgrounds for $10, and tailgating is encouraged.

COLUMBIA OPEN STUDIOS

701 Center for Contemporary Art, 701 Whaley St.

Sat and Sun, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Free

This year marks the fifth anniversary of Columbia Open Studios, a weekend-long tour of local artists' studios across Lexington and Richland Counties. The tour is meant to encourage out-of-towners to visit the galleries. Last year, participating artists sold over $30,000 worth of artwork.

CONTRACOLA, THE COLUMBIA CONTRA DANCE

Sat, 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., $5-$8

Heyward Street United Methodist Church, 2501 Heyward St.

Contra is a type of folk dance that is led by a caller, someone who organizes a walkthrough before the actual dance begins. A live band will play old-time and celtic music. No partner necessary.

SUNDAY

ADVANCED BREWING CLASS

Old Mill Brewpub, 711 East Main St., Lexington

Sun, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., $50

Brewmaster Matt Rodgers will teach participants every aspect of home brewing. Lunch is provided.

SECOND SUNDAY ROLL: BUS TOUR OF CIVIL WAR SITES

The Robert Mills House, 1616 Blanding St.

Sun, 2 p.m., $4-$12

See Historic Columbia. Meet at the Robert Mills House for a tour of Columbia's antebellum and Reconstruction era structures. The tour will explore churches, hospitals, armories and private homes and will educate tour-goers about Columbia during the Civil War and Sherman's March.