Columbia underground: Four spots below the surface

The Whig — The Whig calls the basement level of 1200 Main St. home. Whether you want beer-battered fries, smoked gouda mac and cheese or the best cheeseburger in town, the self-proclaimed "Greatest Dive Bar" in North America has it all, including a full bar. The Whig has been serving hungry subterraneans since 2005.

Thomas Cooper Library — For when studying above ground just isn’t cutting it. Of the Thomas Cooper Library’s seven floors, five of them are underground. Almost every USC student is familiar with T-Coop, so grab a coffee, take the elevator down to the bottom floor and hit the books.

The bottom of Lake Murray — Before Lake Murray was Lake Murray, it was the Saluda River Valley, a community with almost 5,000 residents. In the 1920s, the land included a few churches and schools, and 193 graveyards. The graveyards contained over 2,000 graves. By 1929, the land had been cleared, a dam had been built and the manmade lake we now know as Lake Murray had been completed. But the graves? For the most part, they’re still there. Next time you visit Lake Murray, cross your fingers that it isn’t haunted.

The Underground Mall — Believe it or not, there's an underground mall beneath the historic Arcade Building on the 1300 block of Main Street. The mall was going to feature themed restaurants, bars and shopping. Though it closed in the '70s due to water leakage and a homelessness problem, the mall is still accessible today from inside the Arcade Building. Historic Columbia gives public tours of the underground mall every year, and spaces always fill up quickly. Though dingy and decaying, the underground mall still has some remnants of what it once was, including a paper menu from a bar advertising draft beer for 65 cents.