In Brief: April 21, 2015

Charleston Post and Courier receives Pulitzer Prize

Charleston newspaper The Post and Courier was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for public service on Monday for their “Till Death Do Us Part” series published last summer, which took an in-depth look at South Carolina’s problem with domestic violence, the Associated Press reported.

The judges who looked said it was a “riveting series” that explored the reason why South Carolina is among the most deadly states in the U.S. for women. P.J. Browning, the Post and Courier publisher, said the staff was passionate about the project and the impact they could make in South Carolina.

The Post and Courier last won a Pulitzer Prize 90 years ago for editorial writing.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor 

Mixed-use housing complex to build in West Columbia

Estates & Companies has announced plans for a mixed-use housing community to go up in West Columbia along the Meeting Street gateway near the Riverwalk, WLTX reported.

The community, to be named Brookland, will feature multi-family residence, stores, galleries, restaurants, office and community space. The plans show four main buildings. To connect the Riverwalk to State Street, the community will be pedestrian and bike friendly with mini-parks and public paths.

Jenny Cunningham, West Columbia’s city administrator, said the public-private partnership will build off renovations of nearby business like Terra, Cafe Strudel and @116.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Parts of Riverwalk Park, Three Rivers Greenway closed due to flooding

West Columbia closed parts of the Three Rivers Greenway and Riverwalk Park due to flooding, WLTX reported.

City officials said that due to the rise in river waters, some portions of the parks had to be closed off. The affected areas included the stretch of the Greenway from Riverside Drive southeast to the Amphitheater. The officials said more areas may need to be closed as the river continues to flood, but when the water recedes, the Parks Department crews will work to clear the path to make it safe for reopening.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor