South Carolina softball wins series against struggling Arkansas

Hosting Arkansas, one of the SEC’s weaker teams this past weekend, the South Carolina softball team took advantage and won two out of three games against the Razorbacks at Beckham Field. 

With the series tied one game apiece through Saturday, South Carolina won the rubber match on Sunday 8-3 behind strong performances by sophomore infielder Victoria Williams and sophomore first baseman Kaylea Snaer. 

Trailing 3-2, the Gamecock offense exploded for five runs in the fourth inning to take the lead. 

Willams hit a three-run home run to put South Carolina ahead 5-3 and Snaer followed suit with a solo shot of her own.

From that point on, the Gamecocks would protect their lead as senior pitcher Julie Sarratt picked up her 15th win of the season, pitching four innings of three-run ball. 

Sophomore Nickie Blue finished the job on the mound for South Carolina, striking out three Arkansas batters as she pitched three innings in relief to earn her fourth save of the year. 

With the win, South Carolina improved to 29-16 on the season, and the Gamecocks are now 4-11 in SEC play. 

Arkansas has now lost 10 of its last 11 game, putting the Razorbacks in last place in the SEC standings.

South Carolina takes the field again on Tuesday on the road against Coastal Carolina. The Gamecocks will then travel to face Kentucky next weekend.