Women's tennis season in review

South Carolina women’s tennis was defeated in the SEC tournament, left waiting for a spot in the NCAA tournament to finish out the remainder of the season.

Ranked 28th, the Gamecocks competed against No. 42 Mississippi State and lost 4-3 in the second round of the SEC tournament. The Bulldogs were able to break a 26-game losing streak against South Carolina with the win.

Head coach Kevin Epley knew his team played their best, but it was not enough to win the competitive tournament.

“We were disappointed in the SEC tournament,” Epley said. “We played them close and it’s just really disappointing because you are playing against the SEC.”

The tournament did not end in the way the Gamecocks intended and their season has been an up and down one according to Epley, but remains a winning regular season record before the tournament. Their current record is 14-10 with a 6-7 record in conference play.

Epley did not extol a particular player for their season success, but instead focused on the team effort. He also said that it would be nice to have the whole team together, because most of the time only half or a third of the team is present for tournaments and matches.

Epley knows succeeding in such a cutthroat tournament like the NCAA will require a solid effort from every member. Although he did not name a certain player as the key, senior Meghan Blevins does have the best overall record on the team in singles play.

With the record of 27-8 and 12-2 in tournament play, Blevins will be a key player to watch for in the upcoming tournament and will be missed in the upcoming fall season. The Charleston, South Carolina native brought her A-game in the SEC tournament, defeating Mississippi State freshman Louise Ronaldson 6-1 and 6-4.

Epley and the team are excited to hear where they will be going in the NCAA Tournament, even though they have had an up and down season.

“I think we have gotten our act together and it should keep us in the tournament,” Epley said.

As for doubles this season, Blevins and sophomore Brigit Folland have the best record (25-9) for the Gamecocks. The team took a loss in the SEC tournament but ended at 12-2 for the season. Sophomore Jasmine Lee and senior Naomi Tran for Mississippi State beat Blevins and Folland 8-2. Blevins and Folland are ranked No. 46 in doubles.

South Carolina has made 20 consecutive NCAA appearances. The selection show will begin on April 28 at 5 p.m. on NCAA.com.

With tournament play beginning in only a week, Epley wants his team to continue to focus on winning.

“We just got to get back and focus on the tournament and get back to training,” he said.