Superhero Sunday: CW's "Arrow" hits the bullseye

As the show that started a new-age superhero TV phenomenon, "Arrow" became a success by appealing to their audience. Based around Green Arrow and other DC comics, "Arrow" follows the life of Oliver Queen, a billionaire party boy who enjoyed the life of extravagance – until he was stranded at sea due to a nasty hurricane and forced to live on a seemingly deserted island. On this inland, he becomes a mystery man's protégée and learns skills that he brings back to his home, Starling City. With the help of some "sidekicks," Oliver Queen becomes the hero The Arrow.

Amell plays a good Queen

Stephen Amell, actor of Oliver Queen/Arrow, hits the ground in a full-out sprint when the show starts. In fact, audiences feel his passion for the role from the pilot episode. While other actors who start out in the series feel out their roles and adapt to them, Amell knows who he plays and how to portray that character. While Green Arrow is typically an older character in the comics, Amell's Arrow is a young buck who can generally take on anyone that crosses paths with him. Going with a young Oliver Queen allows the writers to establish identity and mold the character into whatever they want. Plus, a young Queen is more physically appealing than someone who is in their mid-40s. (For real, though, this guy is ripped, and watchers of the show get to see him shirtless. Alot.)

Other actors start slow

It always seems like it takes three or four episodes for an actor to know their character in "Arrow." The best example is with the Lance family. Season one was a struggle for Laurel Lance, played by Katie Cassidy, and her father, Quentin Lance, played by Paul Blackthrorne. Every conflict involving them looked overdramatic and blown up too much, and sometimes the Lances' scenes were cringingly bad. This happens on multiple occasions because of the quantity of characters the show brings in. Who's to blame between the actors or the writers is up for debate, yet it is a struggle at times to watch new a character's scenes. However, they always get better as the seasons progress. But whenever a new character is introduced, they always have the backs of other established characters to jump on (looking at you, Caity Lotz/Sara Lance).

Superheroes are only as good as their villains

A general concept in any superhero lore is that the protagonist can only be as solid of a character as those he fights. "Arrow" gives nods to numerous villains that any DC fan would recognize. While throwaway characters (those who are dealt with before establishing any kind of connection or development) such as Shrapnel, Cupid and Komodo could discourage audiences from the show, the big money villains such as Slade Wilson (Manu Bennett), Merlyn (John Barrowman) and, in the newest season, Ra's al Ghul (Matt Nable) hook the audience with a juicy worm of drama and action. Each time one of their menacing faces shows up, all hell breaks loose. These villains primary role is to destroy Oliver Queen/The Arrow with reasons lined up like revenge or meddling with their evil plans. Even though "Arrow" uses throwaway villains as punching bags for Team Arrow, the main villains give audiences an emotional attachment to show.

The verdict

"Arrow" is a fantastic show. It has many fan-favorite characters other than The Arrow himself to reinforce the show with fresh stories lines and deep character development. While some of the episodes seem duplicates of one another with slight changes, the overarching story line for each season makes it worth a watch. If you find yourself struggling to get through an episode, know that every one of the season and mid-season finales are explosive and rewarding. Sometimes the action and fight scenes look cheesy, but that is to be expected from a low-budget TV series. (Besides, the cheesiness is half the fun in a comic-turned-TV series). If anything, it provides a great series for those who want a long TV show to binge-watch on Netflix. (There are three seasons of 23 one hour episodes with two of the seasons on Netflix and the third soon to come.)

Up next week: Neflix's exclusive show, "Daredevil."