Men's golf tied for second heading into final round at Shoal Creek

The third round of the NCAA regional men's golf tournament at Gold Mountain Golf Club in Bremerton, Wash. on Saturday May 16, 2015. (Photography by Scott Eklund/Red Box Pictures)

The Gamecock men’s golf team made the trip to Birmingham, Alabama this week to participate in the Shoal Creek Invitational hosted by UAB. The Gamecocks entered the tournament ranked seventh in the nation and as the top team in the field of 12.

The Gamecocks got off to a promising start as they sit in second place after posting a total of 582 (6-over). UAB sits atop the leaderboard with a two round total of 575 (1-under) and North Florida and College of Charleston sit in a tie with the Gamecocks at 6-over.

On the individual leaderboards, freshman Scott Stevens is off to a great start with a two round of 144 (even) that has him tied for eighth place in the tournament. Gamecock senior Matt NeSmith, fresh off a top 10 finish at the Carpet Capital Collegiate two weekends ago, got off to another promising start with a round 1 score of 73 and a second round score of 70 to head into the final day in fourth place at 1-under.

Finally, sophomore Keenan Huskey and redshirt senior Sean Kelly give the Gamecocks four golfers in the top 25 at 3-over and 4-over, respectively.

The Gamecocks will conclude the tournament with tomorrow’s third round. The Gamecocks remain within striking distance, seven shots behind UAB.