Women's soccer finishes long weekend with win

The South Carolina women's soccer team traveled up I-77 to take on the UNC Charlotte 49ers Monday night.

The Gamecocks took an early lead and did not let up in the second half.

South Carolina is now 5-1-0 for the season. On Friday against Colgate, senior Coryn Bajema and sophomore Lindsey Lane scored the only goals of the game giving South Carolina the win 2-0.

Entering Monday's game, both teams were 4-1-0 and coming off of wins. The 49ers beat Gardner-Webb three days before taking on the Gamecocks, with a final score of 3-2.

Senior Caroline Kelly was in goal for the Gamecocks in the first half and was relieved in the second half by sophomore Abbey Crider. Crider played the whole time on Friday in the win against Colgate.

Sophomore Savannah McCaskill sent the ball in the net in the third minute of the game. The assist came from junior Chelsea Drennan.

Three minutes later, sophomore Dominique Babbitt scored for her first career goal. The 49ers responded in the 16th minute with a header from freshman Ellie Deaver.

South Carolina led UNC Charlotte 2-1 going into the second half.

McCaskill and senior Stevi Parker took shots early in the second half but were unsuccessful. McCaskill had another attempt however in the 54th minute and made the goal from a left cross. This was McCaskill’s fourth goal of the year and ninth of her career at South Carolina. McCaskill's second goal was assisted by Drennan.

Junior Daija Griffin added a goal in the 69th minute taking the score to 4-1. The assist came from Babbitt.

The Gamecocks will play Georgia on Friday in their first SEC game of the season.