After back-to-back upsets, No. 19 South Carolina head to Marshall

First, it was the conference opener versus University of Alabama-Birmingham. Then, it was eighth-ranked Elon. Four days later, it was No. 7 New Mexico. The Gamecock men's soccer team played arguably the toughest part of their schedule and not only survived, but emerged unbeaten. The team returns to action Friday when they travel to West Virginia in a conference matchup against a 4-5-0 Marshall team.

The 1-0 UAB win was especially important as it snapped a three-game winless streak. The defense held strong against UAB as they outshot South Carolina, 11-6. Goalkeeper William Pyle made six saves in his first start as a Gamecock. Senior Asa Kryst scored the only goal of the game.

The Gamecocks came back home to face a particularly strong Phoenix team, ranked eighth in the nation at the time. The game was back-and-forth for the first 70 minutes. Senior forward Kevin Walker got an unassisted goal off a turnover in the 31st minute to give South Carolina an early lead. Elon’s leader in points, Eduardo Alvarez, tied the game up in the beginning of the second half with a 23-yard free kick, but junior Danny Deakin matched his free kick with one of his own in the 71st minute. The midfielder sealed the win with his sixth goal of the season in the final minutes, ending the game 3-1.

South Carolina had to recover quickly as they played No. 7 New Mexico four days later. Walker scored an early goal off a cross from junior Koty Millard, and the Gamecocks looked in control — that is, until the Lobos’ Chris Wehan put in a penalty after a Gamecock foul in the box in the 86th minute. However, head coach Mark Berson believed that the goal didn’t damage his team.

“The biggest thing for me was the emotional, mental toughness of giving up a penalty in that situation, late in the game, and not folding,” he said. “Coming back and finding a way to win, I'm really proud of them for that. That kind of mental toughness and intensity is what you need to be successful. We showed that big time tonight.”

The goal pushed the game into extra time, but OT didn’t last long. Senior Jeffrey Torda slotted in a goal off a botched save by the New Mexico goalkeeper. 

Marshall has been on its own losing streak. The team has lost their last four games, their most recent coming 5-1 to Florida International. The Thundering Herd haven’t seen a W on their record since Sept. 11 versus Robert Morris.

The Gamecocks have jumped in the NSCAA standings, moving to No. 19 after their three big wins. Pyle, a starter in those three games, has also gotten distinctions this week as he earned a place on the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week.

Friday's game will be hosted by Marshall and kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.