Watch: Despite Deakin's hat trick, Gamecocks only manage draw

South Carolina’s soccer team was in desperate need of a win Tuesday following a 3-0 shutout loss to Clemson. On a rainy night, the Gamecocks played host to the University of North Carolina Greensboro (UNCG) Spartans.

Prior to Tuesday's game, the Spartans had a 2-1-0 record. Their only loss at home was to the UNCW Seahawks. The Gamecocks hoped to claim victory after their loss to Clemson on last Friday.

The Gamecocks got off to a hot start, but allowed a Spartan comeback and walked away with a disappointing draw.

During the first half, both teams had trouble following through with their shot attempts, but the Gamecocks managed to be the first on the board in the 36th minute. Assisted by Koty Millard and a touch pass from Asa Kryst, junior Danny Deakin shot from inside the box at 35:52.

Following a foul from UNC Greensboro, Deakin made an incredible unassisted free kick from 29 yards to extend the Gamecocks' lead in the 42nd minute.

Video courtesy of SGTV

The Spartans’ Damieon Thomas was able to sneak a shot by South Carolina goalkeeper Marco Velez with an assist from Rouven Wahlfeldt for UNC Greensboro’s first goal of the night in the 58th minute.

Deakin, with a rebound pass from Ryan Arambula, increased the Gamecock lead 3-1 in the 59th minute.

A goal by junior defender Nicholas Downs kept UNC Greensboro alive in the second half with a shot from inside the box in the 70th minute.

The Spartans were able to tie up in the 84th minute and take the game into overtime with a penalty kick goal by Leeroy Maguraushe. Neither team was successful in scoring during either overtime segments and the game ultimately ended in a 3-3 tie.

Disappointed with the results, head coach Mark Berson felt the Gamecocks could have pushed a little harder in the second half.

“In the end, you have to credit Greensboro,” Berson said. “They were down; they played well. I think we played a good first half and did not play a good second half. That’s the key to the game: you gotta play two halves.”

Deakin dominated the field with a confident performance against the Spartans. He led the team in shots and scored the Gamecocks’ first hat trick of the season. Velez played a critical part in maintaining the lead for South Carolina. He had nine total saves during his time on the field. The matchup got a little physical with the Gamecocks leading in fouls for the night with 20-17.

South Carolina will be heading to UNC Wilmington on Saturday for their second road match of the season. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.