In brief: Sept. 8, 2015

Football players suspended for targeting referee during game

According to USA Today, the two high school football players who were ejected following a play where they appeared to deliberately tackle a defenseless referee have been suspended from John Jay High School in San Antonio, Texas. The players could be facing charges, and Marble Falls, Texas police are currently investigating the situation. Nationwide outrage ensued after a video of the play from the Sept. 4 game went viral on YouTube and garnered national attention. The video clearly shows one of the players, safety No. 12 running straight into the referee, blindsiding him and knocking him to the ground. While on the ground, another safety lays out to tackle the official head-first. It is still unknown why the players targeted the official.

Kentucky Clerk of Court continues to fight judicial system

NBC news reported that Kim Davis, the Rowan County, Kentucky clerk who was arrested for refusing to issue marriage licenses, is continuing her legal battle with the nation’s highest court. Davis holds to her convictions that gay marriage is against her Christian beliefs. Davis asked a Federal Court of Appeals Monday to let her out of jail after being jailed on Sept. 4. U.S. District Judge David Bunning found Davis in contempt for blocking multiple attempts by same-sex couples to receive their marriage licenses despite the Supreme Court’s ruling in June that same-sex marriages are legal in the United States.

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum makes appearance in Chapin http://www.wltx.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/07/rick-santorum-only-presidential-hopeful-chapin-parade/71853770/ CQ-D

WLTX reported although numerous Republican presidential candidates had campaign presence at the 36th Annual Chapin Labor Day Parade, Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum was the only candidate to attend the parade. Thousands were in attendance on Monday as floats from local groups filled the streets in downtown Chapin, South Carolina. Santorum also was in attendance at the Southern 500 in Darlington, South Carolina on Sunday.