In Brief: 9/28/15

Rand Paul’s wife makes appearance in SC

Kelley Paul, wife of presidential candidate Sen. Rand Paul, is visiting South Carolina on her husband’s behalf, reported WLTX. Monday, Sept. 28, Paul gave the keynote address at a luncheon for the Hilton Head Island Women’s Club. She then traveled to Columbia for a meeting with the Richland County Republican Party at Doc’s Barbecue. Tuesday, she will go to the state’s Republican Party Headquarters in downtown Columbia to officially file her husband’s paperwork to be in the South Carolina primary.

Trump reveals long-awaited tax plan

Yesterday, Donald Trump revealed his long-anticipated tax plan, which would lower income taxes and simplify the paperwork involved, according to The State. The plan would primarily lessen the burden on the middle class. Trump says he would condense the current seven tax brackets into four: 25 percent, 20 percent, 10 percent and zero. About 75 million households would no longer pay income tax, according to the published plan. Trump would also lower the corporate tax rate from its current 35 percent to 15 percent, while simultaneously getting rid of many tax deductions.

Police seek information on Sunday shooting

A Columbia man died after being shot near Garners Ferry Road, WIS reported. Police are seeking any information that could lead to a suspect. Timothy Ray Morgan, a 48-year-old Columbia resident, was shot on Patterson Road just before 7 p.m. on Sunday. Officers arrived at the scene after he was taken to a nearby hospital, where he later died. Authorities have been meeting with witnesses who heard gunshots and then saw Morgan stumble to the ground.