Men's soccer looks to capitalize after losing streak broken

Coming off a 1-0 win and a stout defensive performance against conference rival UAB, the Gamecocks will take on a hot Elon team. Standing at 7-0, the Phoenix jumped in NSCAA Coaches poll from the 20th spot to No. 11.

South Carolina stumbled for a stretch after beginning their season 4-0-1. The Gamecocks traveled up to Clemson to face their in-state rivals in early September. Throughout the game the offense couldn’t get sparked, and the defense couldn’t catch a break. Clemson outshot South Carolina 19-12 on the night en route to a 3-0 win.

The Gamecocks came back home to face a traditionally weak UNC-Greensboro team four days after their first defeat. It took a hat trick from junior midfielder Danny Deakin for the Gamecocks to come out of the double overtime game with a tie.

The team then turned in their worst performance of the season, losing 5-0 to No. 24 UNC-Wilmington. Junior goalkeeper Marco Velez was subbed out after giving up four goals for sophomore William Pyle. He played a total of 56 minutes. Not one Gamecock player was on the pitch for more than 76 minutes, a sign that coach Mark Berson is trying to find inspired players.

But the tides seemed to turn when the Gamecocks beat conference foe UAB.

South Carolina earned their first win in three games in a hard fought match against UAB, a team they beat to advance to the Conference USA championship game last year. Behind redshirt senior Asa Kryst’s goal in the 55th minute, the Gamecocks managed to hold onto the win despite UAB’s almost goal in the 78th minute. Another possible factor in the win is coach Berson’s decision to start Pyle over Velez. Pyle accumulated six saves in the win. Opposite of the previous game, eight Gamecocks played the full 90 minutes.

Elon comes into the game winning all of their previous matchups. The most impressive win was against then-No. 7 Wake Forest, which they won 1-0. Elon boasts a sturdy defense, only giving up three goals on 16 shots on target while scoring 20 of their own goals. Jaiden Fortune, Cooper Vandermaas-Peeler, Eduardo Alvarez and Caue Da Silva all have scored three goals apiece through their first seven games.

The game is Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Stone Stadium.