Volleyball fall in Michigan Challenge over weekend

South Carolina volleyball traveled to a weekend competition for the Michigan Challenge, losing all three matches.  

The Gamecocks started off play against Pittsburgh Friday afternoon, and promptly lost to them 3-1 by scores of 25-18, 20-25, 25-15 and 25-12. South Carolina out-blocked Pittsburgh 8-5, making it their seventh-straight match out-blocking their opponent.

South Carolina went on to face No. 24 Michigan later on Friday. The Wolverines swept the Gamecocks by scores of 25-19, 25-12 and 25-22. The  largest lead for the Gamecocks was in the third set with a four-point lead.

Finishing off the Michigan Challenge, the Gamecocks faced against Western Michigan. South Carolina lost the set 3-1 by scores of 25-22, 21-25, 25-22 and 25-19. The Gamecocks looked to force a fifth set with a 17-15 lead, but the Broncos went on a 10-2 run to take the win.

Junior Dessaa Legros again proved to be the strength on the team by earning a spot on the All-Tournament Team.This was Legros' third straight honor, recording a total of 35 kills on the weekend.

Darian Dozier also had a strong weekend, with a season-high seven blocks against Western Michigan, moving her to eighth on Carolina’s career block list with 354 total. Dozier finished the weekend recording 15 total blocks.

South Carolina is now 4-5 on the year. The Gamecocks will return home to host the Carolina Classic this weekend. They will face East Carolina Friday and both Charleston Southern and Wofford Saturday.