Women's soccer defeats Colgate for first time 2-0

The Gamecocks add another win to their record, beating Colgate at home, 2-0.

South Carolina is ranked No. 16 and is now 4-1 this season after Friday’s game. Some fast-paced starters included junior Chelsea Drennan and sophomore Savannah McCaskill against the Raiders.

Colgate is now 1-4 after this loss. Its only win is a 2-0 victory over Albany earlier in the season. This is the first time these two teams have met in history.

The goalies on both ends played the entire 90 minutes — sophomore Abby Crider for the Gamecocks and senior Erin Cummings for the Raiders  Cummings had five saves but, crucially, allowed two goals that gave South Carolina the win.

First 45

The Gamecocks were eager to begin the game, McCaskill taking the first shot in the first five minutes, albeit unsuccessful. Both teams racked up many fouls in the first half as well — eight for South Carolina and seven for Colgate.

In the 37th minute, junior Daija Griffin received a yellow card for the Gamecocks and only played 25 minutes of the game.

Just when the crowd thought the clock was going to end with a scoreless first half, senior Coryn Bajema scored off a rebound in the 42nd minute. This was her first goal of the season and eighth goal in her collegiate career. Junior Paige Bendell was credited with the assist — the first of her career.

Colgate had no shots in the first half.

Second 45

The beginning of the second half was exciting to say the least with a goal made by sophomore Lindsey Lane in the 48th minute. It was Lane’s third goal of her career and second of the season. The assist came from a combination of junior Sophie Groff and senior Carly Ray.

Colgate still had no shots in the second half and South Carolina had another eight. The last goal finished the game with a 2-0 win over the Raiders.

Up next South Carolina will travel to play UNC-Charlotte Monday for a game time set at 5:30 p.m.. Charlotte is 2-1 this season after defeating both Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern.