Far from perfect, Gamecock equestrian looks strong early on

South Carolina's Samantha Kraus competes on Perfekt during the Equitation Over Fences competition against Texas A&M in Blythewood, S.C., Friday, March 28, 2014. (Tim Dominick/The State/MCT)

Despite their season-opening victory, the USC equestrian team has some work to do before going against Texas Christian University this Friday.

Last week’s competition versus South Dakota State University showed strengths and weaknesses. First, it showcased the talent of new riders. Five Gamecocks scored their first career points, something head coach Boo Major was proud of after Friday’s competition.

With talented freshmen and a strong cast of experienced veterans, there’s much to be excited about when talking about long-term talent. 

The game also emphasized the team’s ability to come back from a point deficit. They surged from behind and beat SDSU 9-7, affirming their runner-up spot in the National Collegiate Equestrian Association’s preseason poll.

The foreseeable future, however, has room for improvements. USC excels at reining, equitation on the flat and equitation over fences; those three categories resulted in their overall score of 9. Their horsemanship match-ups went in a different direction. In five competitions, SDSU claimed the ‘W’ in three, while the other two resulted in a tie.

As Major mentioned last week, the first few competitions will consist of moving riders around and figuring out what feels right. That will be a key point going into this Friday’s meet. Having “home field” advantage will give the Gamecocks both confidence and leverage. It will be difficult to dethrone South Carolina’s skilled group, but its weak spot may be a target.

TCU is also 1-0, winning their competition against Southern Methodist University last week. The team’s horsemanship contenders won three of five match-ups, yet the margin of victory was slim each time.

Thirteen freshmen, nine sophomores, eight juniors and nine seniors make up the TCU roster, a mix of young riders and seasoned athletes. The team is led by Haley Schoolfield, who is in her third season as director of equestrian. Her coaching staff includes Melissa Dukes (Western Hunt Seat coach), Logan Fiorentino (Hunt Seat Head Coach) and returning volunteer assistant Shelby Webb. Fiorentino is the most experienced, with five seasons under her belt. The team is currently ranked eighth in the NECA poll.

Head Coach Major and her team will compete against TCU on Friday at One Wood Farm in Blythewood at 2 p.m.