Jam Fest rocks on through storm

What was intended to be a free, outdoor concert on the corner of Main and Hampton Streets, Jam Room Music Festival ended up switching its original plans due to rain — quite a few times.

On Oct. 2, Jam Room Studio Owner Jay Matheson made the decision to split the concert across two weekends. On Oct. 3, musicians and bands Cory Branan, the Distributors, Debbie and the Skanks and Blonde Redhead would play at the Columbia Museum of Art for $10. Hiss Golden Messenger and the rest of the lineup were to perform the following weekend at the original location for free.

Matheson ended up canceling the second weekend of the concert, stating on the festival’s Facebook page that those in charge and many volunteers will “instead be focusing on offering [their] services to aid in various relief and clean-up efforts for all those who were so deeply [affected] by the flooding.”

While under conditions that were not ideal for an outdoor concert, the concert held at the Columbia Museum of Art hosted a great turnout and a fun way to spend the evening before the week of unprecedented rain.

The evening started out with Nashville singer-songwriter Cory Branan. While the crowd was still just trickling in from the rain, Branan eased the crowd in with his country-rock twang and relatable lyrics.

Local band the Distributors hit the stage next. With Jam Room Studio owner Matheson on the bass and local musicians Murray Baroody, Steve Sancho and Ben Irons, the Distributors’ 70s blues-rock jams were fitting for the scene. The band’s laid-back, just-there-for-the-music vibe was just right for the festival’s low-key evening.

Debbie and the Skanks — another band local to Columbia’s music scene — livened up the venue with their pure rock ‘n’ roll sound. The band’s loud and gritty jams fit perfectly with their name.

The frontwoman of the band, Deborah Adedokun, describes their songs as very “rock and roll, garage rock driven — so anything from modern [stuff], like King Khan & BBQ, to old stuff like the Thirteenth Floor Elevators.”

In a black one-piece and ripped fishnets, Adedokun’s voice and energy definitely carried the show.

“We want people to have a good time and to dance and hang out and to just let loose and get weird,” Adedokun said. “That’s the plan. Granted, we have to do it before they can do it.”

The buildup of the evening led to headliner Blonde Redhead, an alternative rock trio out of New York City. Twin brothers Amedeo and Simone Pace’s jazz roots could be felt through the long, smooth guitar riffs and rhythms that resonated through the small space. Kazu Makino provided the main vocals and swift harmonies on the keyboard.

Overall, the shortened lineup and cozy location at the Columbia Museum of Art provided for a fun, laid-back evening to groove to some live and local music. While the last-minute change of plans and eventual cancellation of the second half of the festival resulted in a smaller turnout, the heart of the Jam Room Music Festival still felt strongly by those in attendance.