Johnson ties against LSU after loss to UF

South Carolina women's soccer team has battled against the top teams in the SEC for the past two games, first against Florida, then taking on LSU. The Gators pulled out on top of the Gamecocks with a 2-1 victory on Thursday. The Gamecocks managed to tie up a game on Sunday with the Tigers on Sunday 1-1.

In the game against Florida, the Gamecocks were first to score as the clock hit the sixth minute mark of regulation play.

Senior defender Carly Raypassed into the box but was saved by Florida goalkeeper Kaylan Marckese. Sophomore forward Savannah McCaskill saw an advantage and chipped the ball into the right hand comer of the net, putting the Gamecocks on the board and in the lead.

Florida’s Savannah Jordan found a pass midfield from Christen Westphal. She made an opening and slid the ball past Gamecock goalkeeper Caroline Kelly into the net. Both teams continued to bring the offensive pressure, but were unsuccessful in regulation play.

The game-winning shot come from Liz Slattery, who found a loose ball and landed the perfect shot into the top corner over Kelly’s outreached hands.

Traveling from Florida to go up against LSU, the Gamecocks played a game that ended in a draw. However, something good to be noted, Senior Raina Johnson earned her sixth goal of the season.

Johnson earned her sixth goal in the fourth minute when she drove a rebound from the LSU’s goalkeeper’s hands into the net from close range.

LSU's Leading scorer Jorian Baucom tied up the game in the 25th minute as she broke through South Carolina’s defense to score.

Both teams proved to be an equal match up for each other, as neither were successful in securing a win.

Nevertheless, it was a great way to end the regular season for both teams, as the No. 17 Gamecocks are now 11-4-2.