Volleyball picks up SEC win over Arkansas

The Gamecocks returned to action Sunday after a week of rest to host and defeat the Arkansas Razorbacks in a SEC conference match.

South Carolina came back to Columbia after a two-match road trip highlighted by a three set win over Georgia and a heartbreaking five-set loss to Tennessee.

The Gamecocks dropped the first set of the match after a back-and-forth battle with the Razorbacks. Senior Darian Dozier kept the Gamecocks chances alive in the set with a team-leading four kills.

South Carolina got to an early start in the second set getting a 12-8 lead before an Arkansas timeout. The Razorbacks cut the lead back to make for another close set. The Gamecocks pulled away late to win the set 25-23, and to tie the match going into the half. Junior Dessaa Legros, Dozier, and senior Sarah Blomgren all had five kills apiece in the second set.

South Carolina would not let up in the third set after picking up an early lead, pushing the Gamecocks to victory the set 25-20 and to gain a 2-1 match lead.

The Gamecocks and the Razorbacks would battle it out in the fourth set until South Carolina came back to win the set and the match, all with the help of blocks by freshman Callie Brown and Dozier. Junior Joely Cabrera had the match point for the Gamecocks.

The Gamecocks took the match 3-1 against the Razorbacks to earn the second SEC conference win of the season. South Carolina returns to action Friday against the Florida Gators, and then will face Ole Miss on Nov. 1 to finish off the three-match home stand.