Women's soccer drop to Vanderbilt 2-1

The women's soccer team may have outshot Vanderbilt 22-4, but the Commodores put the ball where it counted, winning 2-1 in overtime on a goal from Simone Charley.

South Carolina managed eight shots on frame against keeper Christiana Ogunsami, but she came up with seven saves, enough to earn the win for the visitors.

This loss was the team’s first in Stone Stadium since last fall when they lost against Georgia 1-0. The team falls to 11-3-1 and 5-2-1 in SEC play. They lead Auburn in the conference standings by just one point.

South Carolina jumped to an early lead in the 27th minute when senior Raina Johnson finished off a cross from sophomore Savannah McCaskill, scoring her fifth goal of the season. The Gamecocks carried the lead into halftime, outshooting the Commodores 12-1 in the first period.

Things changed quickly at the start of the second half, as Vanderbilt's Taylor Elliot scored in the 46th minute to tie the score. The Gamecocks continued to put pressure on the Vanderbilt back line, but they were unable to push anything over the goal. Head Coach Shelley Smith knows her team needs to find better advantages to win against other teams this season.

"We had plenty of chances to score again and put the game away, but we couldn't capitalize.
 Smith said. "Vanderbilt was able to make the most of their chances. We have to be better at finding the back of the net."

The nation’s eighth-ranked team was aggressive throughout the game, particularly late in the second half and into the overtime period. That attacking mindset proved costly in the end, as Vanderbilt counterattacked, allowing Charley to take a shot inside the box one-on-one with senior keeper Caroline Kelly.

South Carolina will take on another conference game on Thursday in Gainesville, Florida, against the University of Florida Gators.