Back with 'Purpose,' Bieber Fever is contagious

<p>Whether you’re a proud Belieber or an embarrassed victim of Bieber Fever, the release of “Purpose” solidifies the fact that his talent as a musician is undeniable.</p>
Whether you’re a proud Belieber or an embarrassed victim of Bieber Fever, the release of “Purpose” solidifies the fact that his talent as a musician is undeniable.

Whether you love him or you simply love to hate him, bad boy Justin Bieber is back with his fourth studio album, “Purpose.”

Shirtless, with tattoos on display, the infamous pop star graces the cover of his latest album in what appears to be a position of prayer.

Released on Nov. 13, Bieber’s highly anticipated new album contains 13 new tracks, including his most recent smash hits, “Sorry” and “I’ll Show You.” Bieber’s latest album also includes collaborations with some major artists, including Halsey, Skrillex and Big Sean.

Following his very public breakup with actress and fellow musician Selena Gomez in 2014, Bieber was the subject of a slew of tabloid rumors. After an incident involving a bucket and multiple physical altercations with various paparazzi, it had seemed as if the once-beloved role model had finally fallen off his pedestal.

However, following the release of his single “What Do You Mean?” — which reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September — it slowly became clear that Bieber Fever may indeed have returned to plague us all.

In an interview with Ellen DeGeneres, Bieber confirmed that there are in fact three different tracks on “Purpose” dedicated to Gomez, including the first song on the album, “Mark My Words.” In this soulful track, Bieber demonstrates his vocal abilities while singing about the ups and downs of a relationship.

Dripping with sarcasm and pity, “Love Yourself” is the fifth, and arguably strongest, track on “Purpose.” Bieber takes no prisoners, throwing out an incessant stream of fabulous insults as he mocks an unknown former flame. For just under four minutes, Bieber patronizes an apparently narcissistic ex, singing, “'Cause if you like the way you look that much / Oh baby you should go and love yourself / And if you think that I’m still holdin’ on to somethin’ / You should go and love yourself.” Therapeutic and overall entertaining, this track is most definitely worth a purchase.

“No Pressure,” which features a collaboration with rapper Big Sean, is another slow but catchy and relatable track from Bieber. Though Bieber has yet to confirm this, many speculate that this song is also about Gomez. Though the concept of “No Pressure” is undeniably repetitive, the insightful lyrics paired with the addition of the verse provided by Big Sean helps strengthen the track. With sexual undertones and a sensual beat, this track is one of the more scandalous Bieber has released, but it is yet another incontestably awesome song on “Purpose.”

While the majority of the album is strong, the title track “Purpose” is cheesy and never-ending, dragging on for a truly painful three minutes and 30 seconds. This track is the metaphorical zit on the face of Bieber’s new album.

In all, “Purpose” offers a myriad of catchy tracks for everyone.  Whether you’re a proud Belieber or an embarrassed victim of Bieber Fever, the release of “Purpose” solidifies the fact that his talent as a musician is undeniable.